PDA

View Full Version : new sugar shack

marc
09-23-2009, 05:38 PM
This summer I built a new sugar shack,it is 14x26. It is nestled between 3 ponds on our 240 acre woodlot. I hope to install the tubing directly to the shack. I also built an evaporator. It is an oil drum. I used it because I had it, but if I had to do it again it would be made it from square material. I have patrick phanauf pans for it. I added a photobucket to my signiture, I hope it works(new to this:confused: I welcome your comments.

stoweski
09-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Nice place, Marc. You have a nice view from your sugarshack. Any trout or bass in the ponds?

I am almost finished with my garage & sugarshack... a summer project. Unfortunately the crew that I had helping me haven't been that reliable and I still have a few things left to finish. My shack is 14x20 and I have a Leader Half Pint for an evap. Bought it used but haven't had the time to fire it up yet. Still need to find myself some cheap(er) stainless steel pipe.

Happy sugaring. This will be my first year... I plan on tapping somewhere between 50-80 trees for this season.

Keith

3rdgen.maple
09-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Marc nice job that is one of the best drum evaporators I have seen.

Littlesap
09-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Marc, nice sugar house. I am building one this fall and wondering what kind of floor you used. I'm thinking of crushed stone, any thoughts?

marc
09-25-2009, 03:29 PM
soweski, the ponds have brook trout in them as well as bait fish.
littlesap, I built this shack on a concrete slab, it's easier to keep things level and to sweep things up then the stone. It was worth it for me. Thanks for the positve comments. I still need to hook up the pulley system for the coupla doors.