PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about 2010 season

Maple Ridge
09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
I am thinking about the new season already. Has anyone else? I went to Bascom’s a few weeks ago to find items for next year. Spent some money there. Like a kid in a candy store. This will be my 4th year, and I am looking forward to it. I am just a back yard operation at this time, but am looking to grow. I have been concentrating on quality first. Last year I produced 5 gal. of great tasting stuff. I gave it away for feedback. Every one told me it was good. I plan on stepping up production this year. I have about 100 to 150 trees that I can tap. I plan on adding a few each year. I am thinking about setting up a road side stand this year to see if I can sell some.

Haynes Forest Products
09-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I think everyone that has the passion/addiction started thinking about 2010 the day they drilled their first hole or lit their first fire in 2009. Other than "Dang this stuff tastes good"...... "Next year I think I will (fill in the blank) are the most used words in my sap shack

OK maybe "Hey one of you kids get me a beer" is 3rd

Your not liven if you aint planning

red maples
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Are you kidding I am thinking about what I have time to do for this year yet and what I will do next summer for the 2011 season!!!! butI have to keep telling myself one thing at a time and the "to do list" is getting smaller and smaller finally.

Maple Ridge
09-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I have been walking my woods and looking where to thin and trim. What trees I will be tapping. I don't have much luck with tubing. I will be adding more buckets. The wife enjoys going around and gathering (until her little arms get tired) then I take over. I am trying to balance what I gather and what I can process. Last season I had a hard time processing what I collected, but managed to do it. I am hoping to get an evaporator in the next 2 years

Maple Ridge
11-09-2009, 06:44 AM
I have read that you can test trees in the fall, and it would give you an idea of what the season would be. I tested some of my trees by using an awl and making a small hole. My finding were 1.5 to 4 brix.
I am sure it may drop by spring. I was wondering if anyone knows how this would compare to what the season coming up may be like.

dano2840
11-09-2009, 12:23 PM
well ive been thinking alot about sugaring this year, that and deer hunting next weekend =) i cant wait to watch my new releaser fill up and dump. i really want to run those check valves but its to much $ per tap because i dont have the stuby's so i would have to get stubbies and the check valve and i cant afford it so im going to give those throw away spout extentions and hope those do me well, ive gotta call some dealer ships and see if i can get one of them to find me a wood fired 40"x12' arch that i can trade my oil fired 40"x12' arch for. if i cant find some one who wants to trade i will be running my 3x8 again this year and thats not going to be much fun, im hoping to add another 75 + taps this year (thats $ dependant variable, i might have to test my begging skills on mom again this year) and i will be adding vac to 400 out of my 600 taps so way more sap on the same arch..... loooooonnnngggg nights last year, i cant even imagine this year if im still running the 3x8, but i do have the 40x12 preheater and hood thats 7' long but with my 3x8 where the float doenst do much good im not sure i would want to run it with almost the whole thing covered. i think i found the problem with the float not working any way and i think once fixed it will work just fine but ive got leader special pans so the float mechanism sticks above the flue pan so im thinking there wouldnt be any room for the preheater to fit in there any way, either i need to find a wood fired 40"x12' arch or make a preheater or something to my 3x8 so she goes faster. i dont know yet. its been on my mind alot and am starting to stess over it, its still early in the game but im constantly thinking about it like any sugar maker does, i gotta get threw deer season first and get the rest of my wood skid out before the snow covers it up

gmcooper
11-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Jeremy sounds like you moved?
Mark

Sugarmaker
11-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Jeremy,
Rock maples are good starting fresh is good cause you can make improvements. Hope you can smell the steam in 2010.

Regards,
Chris

Daryl
11-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Chris,
Thanks for the sharing thoughts last Friday evening. Good visit.
That new D&G Sportsman should be a great improvement with the preheater, hood, over fire air, and a small blower. The 2X3 mason had a hard time keeping up some nights. Hoping to get toward 200 taps this year. Also plan to build a small RO with 2 4X40 membranes.
Thanks,
Daryl

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Jeremy,

Good to see you back at it with the new setup and good luck. With your never die/quit attitude, you will be cranking out the big syrup come March.

gmcooper
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Jeremy,
Where in Sabattus? I used to live in Wales. Worked on Norman Hinckley's farm just down the road from Watermans.
Mark

gmcooper
11-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Jeremy,
Can't remember which place that was, are you near loon pond or down near the sawmill. Certainly a quiet area. How bad have they cut of those woodlots in the area?
Mark

Flat47
11-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi Mark,
Bought an old dairy farm in Sabattus.

Did I buy a bush hog from you this summer?????

Flat47
11-19-2009, 04:40 PM
About 2 mi SW Loon Pond, Thick N' Thin Lumber sawmill was part of this farm, now 2 doors down. Flat, I didnt sell any bushhogs, but my father might have....he is not in Sabattus but sells tractor implements/supplies.

Ok, just coincidence then. I guess that makes a couple of people who bought old dairy farms in Sabattus. I don't know that area at all, but it looked quite nice (and I got a heck of deal on a bush hog). Good luck in 2010!

KenWP
11-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Am thinking hard for 2010 also. Have way to much to do and no time to do it. I have enough metal now to make a evaporator just need time to do it now. I have 3 days off finally will get something done.

gmcooper
11-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Jeremey
I think I know which place. I was thinking more about the woodland on Fisher Road. Still must be some big old sugar maples along the road.
Congrats on getting a new place!
Mark

TapME
11-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Mark,
Its on Sutherland Pond Rd...Ben Hurds old place

maybe after the wreath season we could get together and swap a few stories. Did a few jobs there. Its a nice area with some old farms. Congrats on the new place.

Revi
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I just want to have a "normal" season. No vandals, normal run of sap, etc.

It may be too much to ask.

Whatever we get I'll be thankful for.