PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to get a roof jack?

heus
09-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I will need to vent my 10" stainless smoke pipe from my 2x6 Phaneuf (If it ever gets here) through my roof. Is there any place close to NE Ohio or that has free shipping to get a galvanized roof jack? I also have a 10" steam vent from my hood that will need a jack. I figure an 11" or 12" jack with a collar around the pipe, so I can lift the hood when needed. I think it would be cheaper to get a galvanized roof jack from a non-maple manufacturer, like metalbestos, simpson duravent, etc. Any thoughts?

red maples
09-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I will look through my paper work in a bit and see where I got mine from, found it on the internet. they can get pretty pricey the more of a pitch you have on your roof the more they are. I am sure you can find them cheaper than what I got mine. as for local fireplace stores seem to be a rip off. $200-300 for a 3 foot piece if insulated pipe ...yeah right lowe's $97. Lowes also has a kit for above the roof with cap and all!! but let me go find my paperwork.

briduhunt
09-23-2009, 02:25 PM
You need the outside demension of the both pipes first. With that info you go to a heating do It you self retailer and find one that they have that meets your size requirements. Just going and saying I need a roof flashing and storm collar for a 10" pipe will get you in trouble because different manufacturers make the same inside dimension but different outside. My 2x6 has a 7" vent and then I added an increaser to 8" all fuel pipe, I got the all fuel pipe free. I bought a roof flashing for about $30 and a stirom collar for about $8. Good luck

red maples
09-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I sent you a private message. I has all the info in it. my 2x6 phaneuf has an 8 inch stack but my town fire chief wanted insulated pipe going throught the roof so the outside of that is 10"diameter. briduhunt is right make sure you get the right stuff

brookledge
09-23-2009, 10:02 PM
heus
How long do you plan on having this evaporator?
If more than 5 yrs I'd seriously recommend going stainless, I know it cost more but the galv. coating will get burned off quickly and then the rust will begin. If it was not exposed to the outside weather it might last longer but uo on the roof exposed to all the rain it won't
All you should need to tell a manufactuer is the size,the pitch and whether it is for the peak or on the slope. And it might be cheaper to go to your local sheet metal fabrication shop otherwise call Leader, Maplepro, etc
Another thought why don't you have Patrick make one for you since he is making the rest
Keith

mtnmeadowmplfarm
09-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I took one section of my stack to a local machine shop and they were able to fabricate a roof jack(know your roof pitch) and storm collar for a fraction of the cost.

cncaboose
09-24-2009, 09:46 PM
When I got my evap from Patrick he included a roof jack to my roof specs. Get your measurements together and ask him if it is included. He'll want to know roof pitch and whether it is for the peak or for the slope. My evaporator came months late too, arriving in late November, but included a real nice all-stainless roof jack and stack. That was 3 years ago tho so maybe he's doing it differently now.

3rdgen.maple
09-24-2009, 10:01 PM
If you give him a call he will do it. He has done me some favors and is doing me another favor tomarrow. I too had to wait on the delivery but he made up for it.
I dont mean to rob this thread but cncaboose what do you think of the 3x8? Any addons and what do you feel you are getting for gph on it. I am seriously considering a trade in for 2011 season.

cncaboose
09-25-2009, 01:56 PM
I've been quite happy overall with the 3x8. I built a simple preheater using fin tubing last year but have no hood over it so it only works moderately. Otherwise no modifications. Once the system is warmed up I get something around 55-60 gph. I think it would draw better with a different setup for draining the flue pan since I only get stack temps up around 500. Maybe that's OK with no blower. I had to have the connecting pipe from front to back pan redone since it was a whisker short but Fred Henderson has an evaporator just like mine and his is fine. Fred had to replace his grates during the third season because they sagged too much, and mine are going that way but I've boiled less sap than Fred so may get a couple more years out of them. If you ever get up north I'd be happy to show you the setup or send me your email and I can send photos.