PDA

View Full Version : Any body ever try Muslin for filtering?? (Unbleeched)

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-27-2005, 08:08 PM
What is the best filter for back yard filtering. No pressure filtering.

I see in the catalogs all the different types of cone and sheet filters they sell.
Last year I used coffee filters and had a real hard time with them. :twisted: They seem to block up very fast useing them.
You could not rinse them and we had to poor the unfilterd syrup back into the pot to re heat and then use another filter :twisted: .

Do they sell something like a coffe filter that can be washed and reused again?

Was wondering what might be a better choice for me to filter the syrup threw into a large finishing pot and then bottle from there. :idea:

Thanks for any help :wink:
Charlie

gmcooper
01-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Charlie,
For years we used the synthetic cone filters with the paper prefilters. They are very adaptive to many typed of bottling equipment. You can hang them in a clean sap bucket if needed or someone wanted to use a large coffee urn which would work. Freinds of my made a simple wooden frame to support the cone filter from than let it drip into a stainless pail.
You can stack the prefilters into the cone and when one plugs you pull the dirty paper out. Have to watch fingers as syrup is hot. If your syrup is not hot (180+-) no filter will work very well.
The cone filters are washable with hot water as are the paper prefilters. Just have to be carefull.
Good luck
Mark

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Charlie,

If you have a big flat pan, it would be better to get one of the flat filters and a pack of prefilters and attatch the filter to the sides of the pan and let it sag in the middle with several prefilters on top. I had a nice 13" x 32" x 16" deep stainless pan made by an Amish back in the summer with a threaded drain and handles for around $ 40. He is in PA and I could give you his # if you are interested?? :D

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Hey guys thanks for some help.

Brandon, I have one of those large round stock pots that hold about 3 gals.
My one friend is going to weld a spigot on it for me. I did buy a filter threw boscom last year and I think I bought the wrong thing. it is a sheet piece that looks like it may be 1/4" thick. 20?x20?

When I first tried to use it, I used cloths pins to secure it fast to the pot. The temp was about 195 degree's. When I pured the syrup onto that filter it just sat there. I then made it damp and it still would not run threw it. Not even one drop. I beleave it may have been one for a pressure filter?

So I ended up useing coffe filters.

What are the filters called in the catalogs that I should but??

Thanks
Charlie

gmcooper
01-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Charlie,
New Bascom catalog came yesterday so it was handy. The flat filters 36x36 is #FSYN36 the 22"x36" flat is #FSYN22
The Papers are #FPR36 and FPR22

If they are prewetted with hot water (dampned not soaked ) they should filter fine. Takes a few seconds for first drips than should be small stream off the bottom.
Mark

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi Mark, I wish I new which one i have?

It looks like super heavy felt cloth at least 1/4" thick.

Not sure if those numbers you gave me are the same ones. But the one I have we waited and waited and nothing would go threw it. Like I said we did dampen it and still would not go threw.

Im wondering how heavy those ones you gave me the numbers on are. I hate to order the same thing again.

The paper ones I will get for sure. But kinda scared I may end up buying the same heavy one I already have. I just cant tell buy looking at them which is which. Im going to dig that one up I have and measure it,mabe that might tell me what I have.

Mark or Brandon I Got it it at hand, It measures 30"x24" and dry weight is almost 1/2 pound. Thats a really heavy filter.

Thanks again
Charlie

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Charlie,

Not sure what you have. The synthetic filters I use are really light. If you dampen them a little, the syrup will run through them pretty fast. The key is to put several prefilters on top of the filter so they clog first. As one prefilter clogs, pull it off and let the syrup fall on the next one. Be careful and don't scold yourself. The stainless stock pot should be awesome. Sounds like you are on the right track. Either way, might want to order a new filter to be certain as you really need a pack of prefilters anyway. Be sure to wash the prefilter before the first use with just water, don't use any soap. Hot water is good if it isn't wool! :D :D

brookledge
01-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Charlie, I agree that the synthetic filters would work the best in your case. Make sure that you boil it in hot water before useing to get the chemicals they treat it with. And also alot of people don't know that when washing it you should not wring it out by twisting it. That will begin to tear the fibers which will lead to cloudy syrup. It is ok to squeeze it or put in a spin cycle in a washer. I know some producers that have taken the clothes roller off an antique washing machine and used that.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2005, 07:04 AM
Charlie,

During the season, I always wash my filters and prefilters by throwing them in the wash machine and doing a full cycle without any chemicals or soap and this works great! :D

TR Hardwoods
01-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Charlie, I use the cone shaped orion filters with a paper filter insert. These filters fit perfectly into a 10 gal milk can. You can tie the filter to the handles of the milk can and it makes a really nice fit. I think I paid about $20 bucks for the orion filter and maybe $3-4 for each of the paper filters. All others info is good....hot syrup, damp filter, clean in washing machine, etc. Once the syrup is filtered you can but the lid on the milk can and set aside until you are ready to bottle. You may need to leave the filter sit overnight.....just don't squeeze the syrup thru these filters as you will get cloudy syrup. Hope this helps.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
01-28-2005, 06:19 PM
If you do use the washing machine to wash your filters make **** sure that no soaps or chemicals mix into the filters, because soaps and chemicals only = off flavors, and at least in VT and probably other state maple associations, off-flavors are illegal. Your best bet is to wash with HOT water in the kitchen sink, then air dry and store in a cool, dry, non-musty or smell place.

gmcooper
01-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Charlie,

I dug out one of my old cone felt lilters and at best guess it is 1/8" thick. Not any more than that for sure. We have some wool and synthetic around and they were always very close in thickness. The wool were a little heavier feeling.
If the filter you have is 1/4" is it possible you received a chunk of thermal blanket? A heating company near us used to stock a 1/4" white blanket for emergency insulation for the service guys. We used some one year as a pan gasket mid season. It looked similar to filter but probably would never let syrup thru it.
Mark

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Im gonna try to use Muslin fabric(unbleeched) and prefilters on top of that.

Dont know if anyone else tried it. I got 4 yards of it for about $2.00.

Thanks
Charlie