PDA

View Full Version : Vac Line

Bradenfish
09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
How far can you run a vacuum line without using a vacuum booster? It would probably be a 20 cfm pump. Thanks!

Haynes Forest Products
09-23-2009, 02:05 AM
Brandenfish I will gladly answer the question only after you tell me what is a vacuum booster and how does it works??????????????????????????????????OK time is up! It depends on what you want to do. If your going to run a releaser 3000' in the woods I would run a 1" poly line back too the releaser area and put a "reserve tank" right before you connect to the releaser. If you were to run a 2" pipe back to the releaser then you would have a 3000' reserve tank. The reason for the reserve tank is to have a ready vacuum as near to the releaser as possible to smooth out the spikes in the vac line during operation.

If you took a vacuum pump and hooked 3000' of poly to it and put a guage at the pump and the end of the pipe turned it on after about 10 seconds you would have equal readings at both guages install (10) 1 gallon vacuum tanks inline and after about 15 seconds you would have what reading at both guages:rolleyes:

One last thing you said the pump is 20 CFMs What are the HGs at FULL vacuum? I have a box fan that has more CFMs than that pump but it only has about .20 HGs

Bradenfish
09-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Uh, I don't no how it works but its proly the same thing as what you call a reserve tank. Look it up in Leaders catalog. I didn't find the description online so here's a quote from the magazine. "Used to transfer vacuum on a long distance in your sugarbush. Also made to increase vacuum performance in the system".

3rdgen.maple
09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Brandonfish Haynes just made me laugh.... I believe he was referencing a past thread about vacume boosters and how the name is misleading. He is a wiseguy sometimes:D but full to the brim with alot of usefull info.

Bradenfish
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Ya i'm just a little slow to catch on:D

Haynes Forest Products
09-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Brandenfish OK I have you thinking thats good. They say it helps with the Performance of the vac system and that is true. Nothing can increase the vacuum level from what your pump creates. Im with 3rdgan I was telling my parole officer just yesterday that if you cant have a little fun every day you aint livin.

We are talking about vacuum so things are a little differant than pressure. We cant store vacuum because vacuum is the absence of something...air/gas
but Chuck what the heck are you talking about......well you dont pump vacuum into the lines and vacuum doesnt move down the lines. Whats in the lines is removed creating a void the absence of something......vacuum.

When a line is under vacuum and is attached to the tree sap and gases fill the void and as sap and the gases fill the lines they travel to the sourse, the vaccum pump. Putting a tank at the end of the line by the releaser is a great idea because it helps as a temporary storage tank for the sap/gases that enter the lines taking up the space that was under vacuum UNTIL full vacuum is restored during releaser dumps and that helps keep the sap from surging backwards in the lines into the tap holes.

And for the big finish....What does a vacuum tank hold when its under full vacuum..............................NOTHING:lol: