PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Sap?

Maple Hugger
09-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi guys. I am new to the site and really looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone before tapping time (and beyond). My boyfriend and I made syrup for the first time 2 years ago. Last year we quadrupled production and this year we plan to do the same. We're pumped!

So obviously the larger your production gets, the more land you have to cover... There is no way I could possibly monitor every sap bucket around the clock... This brings me to my first questions: I have a paranoia that some hoodlum kids or drunk hillbillies are going to pee in our sap buckets as a joke. Have any of you ever encountered this problem? What is the likelihood? Would the pee just burn off in the evaporation process? If so, what ratio of pee to sap is considered acceptable? Is there a way to test for pee?

I'd ideally like to produce 100% Maple. Any advice from the veterans?

Thanks guys!

tuckermtn
09-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I have some highly visible sap buckets and have never had an issue. Kids in my part of NH are probably not all that different from the ones in Wisc. I don't loose sleep over the issue.

if you are doing tubing to 5 gal plastic buckets, I would think that would be a pretty good detourant (sp)- have to have good aim to get it in the pour spout...

where in Wisconsin are you?

Maple Hugger
09-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I live in the Green Bay area but our maple syrup project is done in Michigan's Upper Penninsula. My boyfriend owns some land up there with lots of maples on it.

Granted, the hole in our bucket is rather small (about 4 inches in diameter) but I assumed that having buckets on the ground like we do would make it actually easier to pee into. Heck they could practically take a seat while they do it. I caught my neighbor walking through our property with a magazine in his hand last year. Normally I really like the guy... But I wonder...

3rdgen.maple
09-21-2009, 09:08 PM
This thread kinda made me giggle a little then it makes you think. I do not think I ever heard someone ask this question before. If you are concerned Run your tubing into the side of your pails towards the top. Keep the hole small enough to fit the tubing in. Maybe then mark the lid discretely in relationship to the pail. When you go back to empty the buckets check your mark and see if the lid has been tampered with, and hope the guy does not read the Maple Trader if he is peeing in your buckets:D

Haynes Forest Products
09-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Pee is sterial so have your boyfriend take a sip from every bucket first:o Or just do the litmus test on them all

Russell Lampron
09-22-2009, 05:28 AM
There are times during the season when you will see yellow sap after a rain storm. It isn't pee though. I have seen it in the buckets that I hang on the tree and don't know if it will happen with a plastic bucket on the ground.

C.Wilcox
09-22-2009, 09:34 AM
I live in the Green Bay area but our maple syrup project is done in Michigan's Upper Penninsula. My boyfriend owns some land up there with lots of maples on it.

Granted, the hole in our bucket is rather small (about 4 inches in diameter) but I assumed that having buckets on the ground like we do would make it actually easier to pee into. Heck they could practically take a seat while they do it. I caught my neighbor walking through our property with a magazine in his hand last year. Normally I really like the guy... But I wonder...

Just offer the neighbor some syrup after the season and watch his face. You'll know right away whether he's been behaving himself. :)

Haynes Forest Products
09-22-2009, 09:41 AM
I think the yellow color after a rain is from water running down the trunk picking up color from the bark and getting into the sap.

Jim Schumacher
09-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Pee is sterial so have your boyfriend take a sip from every bucket first:o Or just do the litmus test on them all

Haynes... Man, Don't suggest that her boyfriend taste test the potential pee-sap... Please.

Greg Morin
09-22-2009, 05:36 PM
buy a trail camera?