PDA

View Full Version : making a finisher/bottler

red maples
09-19-2009, 10:09 AM
So I am making a finisher/bottler what size valve do I need a 3/4 inch with a reducer elbow or 1/2 inch or 1/2 inch with a reducer on it for small bottle openings. what do the store bought one have?

thanks
Don't know if this should be here or in homemade eqipment. feel free to move it if need be!!!

KenWP
09-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Depends what size of jugs. I made mine with a half inch valve and then reduced it down to 1/4 with a bend. It works well for me but of course the 4 liter jugs take a while to fill but I fill very few of them any ways. I did my first couple of batches with a ladle and funnel and that sucked so I came up with another idea. I just used a SS pot and put the valve in the bottom which was a pretty easy fix.

red maples
09-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I was looking for a coffee urn but couldn't find one cheap. So I got a hotel pan for $14 a little easy off and it's as good as new put in a valve and get a long stem thermometer..I might break down and get a digital candy thermometer then I can try my hand at some maple sugar candy too. just need to find a good burner I have an old coleman propane camp stove that might do the trick but maybe I can find something a little more power, and got a nice SS 22 qt pot for $25 for the draw off, same thing cleaned it up its a nice heavy gauge too. better than $150 or what ever the SS drawoff buckets go for!!

anyway I love that store their is like a grave yard in the back of this place with just about any type of restaurant stuff you want.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I have a 1/2" on my Leader 16x24 finisher and after the 1/2 stainless ball valve, I have one of the $ 20 chrome bottling nozzles from bascoms. It necks down the size of the stream coming out to give you a nice smooth flow and I control the amount of the flow going into the jug with the 1/2" ball valve. Works great and I don't have any problems with foam and it fills a jug really quick.

Another note I have mentioned before, I wear a 15 to 20 led headlamp and it shines right down into the bottle as it is filling, so overflowing a bottle is not a problem either.

Haynes Forest Products
09-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Make sure you get a full flow valve when you buy one. Alot of valves look nice and big and then you look thru it and its restricted down. I think 1/2" is plenty and then neck it down. Put the valve as close to the fill spout as possible so you dont have syrup dripping out the fittings. On the one I built I had the valve after the 90 degree and then a short fill spout. Try and get the fill spout as bur free and smooth so can so you dont create turbulance making the syrup foamy. I cut my spout at an angle for less splash.

red maples
09-20-2009, 12:26 PM
thanks guys. I like the head lamp idea I have a few of those. never even thought of using it for that.

stoweski
09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Any chance you could fill us newcomers in on your design? I'm considering buying a Bayou Classic 16x16 propane burner and pick up one of Phaneuf's 16x16x12 finishing pan.
Any other ideas or suggestions on a better (or cheaper) finisher/bottler?

Keith

Haynes Forest Products
09-22-2009, 01:06 AM
I dont think they go together. You have a finisher and then transfer to the bottler. When your finishing your cooking and that makes niter. You need to filter then bottle. Yes you can bottle out of your finisher but only after you filter :rolleyes: I would look on Ebay for a nice SS coffee pot look under commercial coffee makers they come with nice anti drip valves and you can control the heat.

red maples
09-23-2009, 09:22 AM
yeah I know. It will basically get finished filtered and put into 5 gallon cans. or just removed to a clean vessel. reheated to 185-190 then bottled . or I will just make another pan out of a hotel pan again. I might go that route because of niter build up in the finishing pan. it will only cost about 15-20 for a used hotel pan. about 30-40 for hardware and valve. so max 60 bucks. I have been looking and I can't find a coffee make for that cheap. unless I missed one somewhere.

Haynes Forest Products
09-23-2009, 09:38 AM
There are a few 60 100 cup coffee urns on Ebay item no 250501969066 or 120471996513 They have site glass and anti drip valves and whats nice is you can regulate the heat and use the filter rack

stoweski
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I dont think they go together. You have a finisher and then transfer to the bottler. When your finishing your cooking and that makes niter. You need to filter then bottle. Yes you can bottle out of your finisher but only after you filter :rolleyes: I would look on Ebay for a nice SS coffee pot look under commercial coffee makers they come with nice anti drip valves and you can control the heat.

Ok, so the coffee maker that you suggest can be used as a bottler but I would still need a finisher, that correct? And I'm guessing that I could use a cone filter inside the coffee maker after finishing.

I'm looking for opinions on what a beginner needs. I'm just not sure where to post my question since there is no beginner forum. Maybe under the basics forum.

I did see the West Bend coffee makers on ebay that you listed. I'll see if I can pick one up.

Keith

red maples
09-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Keith Pick up the "North American Maple Producers Manual" I am a beginner too so I am still learning cost about $25 odered it with my stuff from bascom's best money I spent so far. great reference tables and charts. Maple from planning stages to tapping trres and marketing ans selling and everything in between.

I did see those pots but there is no adjustable thermostat on them there is an off and 2 on positions??? do they get hot enough?? I am just worried they won't get hot enough and yes the 1 is only $10 so you really don't loose but...

stoweski
09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Do have the Manual, just haven't had time to sit down and read it yet. Headed up north this weekend to take in some scenery so I may have a few minutes to read a chapter or two.

You are right, if there is no thermostat on the pot I'm not sure how it could be adjusted properly.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Jim(mapleman3) and I took ours to a Staples/UPS store and had them spiral bound and the covers laminated and they will last much longer as the books are not the best put together books I have ever seen and it makes it much easier to flip thru them! Only a few extra bucks to get it done!

palmer4th
02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
So I know this is a old thread, but I was wondering if you welded the valve onto the SS pot?

maple flats
02-16-2011, 05:04 AM
I like a larger valve, like 3/4 inch and an elbow then I use adapters for the different size needs. Larger bottles I use a 3/4 mip x 1/2 barb, smaller I use 3/4 MIP x 3/8 and the smallest I use 3/4 MIP x 1/4. I just turn them in finger tight. Mine are SS but you could use wrought copper and clean well after the season and make sure they are kept dry in the off season.