PDA

View Full Version : steril holes?

John Burton
01-27-2005, 02:55 PM
i was wondering, how many of you guys sterilize your tap holes?i am considering doing it this year . what methods are the best? does it help the trees heal faster or just help to keep the holes open longer any feedback would be most helpfull thanks.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
01-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Whatever you steilize with, if you do, don't use any product with alcohol because the alcohol will dry out the holes much faster.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-27-2005, 08:27 PM
I use a hand spray bottle with about 1 part of bleach to 10 parts of water. Helps wash out the holes and sterilize it and shouldn't harm the tree in any way.

powerdub
01-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Last year I used alcohol to sterilize the tap. I had great results. The holes never dried out and after a ten day warm spell the trees kept producing sap after the weather got back to normal. In years past I would have had plugged holes with gooey black snot in them. When I pulled taps at the end of the year they looked clean as the day I tapped. I also dunked my drill bit in every five holes or so to keep that sterile as well.

backyardsugarer
01-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Devil Springs Vodka and I had good luck................I think........
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-29-2005, 04:53 PM
No wonder you sold so much syrup...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mapleman3
01-29-2005, 05:32 PM
From what I heard as long as it's Clear Grain alchohol.. it will not effect the syrup one bit.. don't use rubbing alchohol... it's poison!! but hydrogen peroxide is ok.. just use in small quantitys