PDA

View Full Version : Another new Sugarhouse

TRAILGUY
09-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Just finished a 12X16 sugar shed it has a crusted rock floor and post and beam constitution. Use two siding glass doors for windows (one opens). The wood bin has a trap door so do not have to open big doors on cold days. It has a medal roof and in the cupola its wood then medal to lessen condensation. Have used medal-best-est chimney, cabinets and counter top coming soon.
Picked up a used 2X6 evaporator, 4- 55 gal, drums, 175 gal. tote and 110 gal. pickup tank. Thanks for all the info.
Also a 3 cord wood shed and it is full with split small wood.Now on to tubing.

Mac
09-13-2009, 07:40 AM
trailguy,
How about posting a picture of it! I am converting my 12 x 16 tractor shed to a sugar house... pictures comming soon

TRAILGUY
01-17-2010, 07:28 AM
i am done playing with the evaporator all tune up. did a test fire. shack is 12X16 8 foot walls board and batten with medal roof. cupola is two X 8 all wood so less drips no medal showing. well i did a test fire last night and fill with steam. need to try improve the flow. not going to a hood yet. waiting till next upgrade.
Questions.
1. How much make up air?
2. If I open the door slows the boil.
3. Is more all ways better? Maybe tie 3/4 open or only one side?
any thoughts on what to try?

johnallin
01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Make up air... Are you referring to the door on the evaporator, if so when you open it you are introducing cold air into the fire box and the boil will slow down or stop completely. That door should be closed tight and sealed. Have you tried openning the ash cleanout door to bring air up through the fire grates?

maplwrks
01-17-2010, 08:25 PM
It may just be the night. Sometimes, the air pressure is such that steam doesn't want to leave the building. Is your building really tight? You may need to cut a draft door in your building, to allow a draft to help remove the steam. Before I did that, I would try another boil, play with your cupola doors and see what happens.

TRAILGUY
01-18-2010, 07:12 AM
i was talking air to remove steam. not very tight rough saw. I will try cracking window to see if that helps

NH Maplemaker
01-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Trailguy,Once you do the up grade to a hood you will not have that problem.
Just try differant things for this year untill you find what works the best ( windows, a door,) Each day will be a little differant ! I'm sure by next year you are going to want a hood & preheater to help boiling temps ! Jim L.

cncaboose
01-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I have to keep a door partially open even though my sugarhouse is not real tight in order to get good flow of steam out the cupola. It works best if I have at least one door wide open.

Vermonner
08-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I had to chime in just to mark a spot, because I am in love with johnallin's sugarhouse, though they are all awesome.