PDA

View Full Version : a pic of my small sugarhouse

markct
09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
heres a picture of my sugarhouse, its only 8 by 21, which was actualy after an 8 by 8 addition was added to the back when i upgraded to a 2x8 evap from the propane tank barrel stove setup i had the first year. this picture was before i had the stacks up

markct
09-12-2009, 11:37 AM
heres a pic taken at night of when i had just finished the original sugarhouse, before i ever thought i would go crazy and bigger evap! at this time the shed was on 6x6 pressure treated skids, when i added the addition i removed them and put it on long galvanized i beams for skids and to hold the whole thing ridgid, i wanted to keep it semi movable since i plan to build a house on a section of our property in the future and bring it closer to there

markct
09-12-2009, 11:45 AM
heres one more of it the first season i used it

StewieSugar
09-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Nice looking sugar house!

What's the material that's under the evaporator? Is it metal, stone, ???

Looks like you've added on; was the new space for firewood or something else?

What kind of mechanism do you use to open the cupola?

Haynes Forest Products
09-12-2009, 04:39 PM
looks like a barbeque mat from Home Depot??? Looks nice and cozy in a good way

markct
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
yea under the old evap was one of them woodstove boards, seemed to keep the heat off the floor well. the new evap is so well insulated it barely gets hot on the outside but its still under the front part of the evap and catches the sparks that fall out the door when firing

darkmachine
09-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Hello, here is a few pics of our setup in the "Sugar Grove", the name that was given the area on my family farm, that until I was about 16, I had no idea the meaning of. My family stoped making syrup there in about 1945. They used cast iron kettles. Our first venture was not much more advanced. Hoping to make more than 20 gallons this season.

http://darkmachine.multiply.com/photos/album/14/Sweet_Sugar_Grove

markct
10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
heres a pic of it from the other side after the first addition to the rear of the sugarhouse

markct
10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
But of course one addition wasnt enough as my maple addiction has become more serious, so this past april i put on another addition to the side of the building. The whole building is on two 22ft i beam skids so i can relocate it when i eventualy move to an ajoining section of our property.so after i added the addition i lifted the building up and blocked it up and unbolted the skids and moved them over a bit so they were more centered under the new wider building. it realy made alot more working room and gave me room to add a small homemade woodstove for the times i am not boiling and want some heat to bottle of prep the sugarhouse before the season, or just a place to drink beer with the buddies!