PDA

View Full Version : Tap hole depth

SUGARSMITH
01-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Here is an old but good topic.

A few weeks ago ath the CT maple metting, there was a speaker from the procter maple/ UVM center. He informed the group that there is no need to tap deeper than 1 inch and any depth beyond that will gain you 0% more sap and the only gain is the closure time of the tap hole.

What are the thoughts on this. I know I have been going about 2 inches or so and if 1 inch is max gain I am all for it

Dan

backyardsugarer
01-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I am going to stick to 2 inches since I have always done it and got good results. As long as the trees are healthy and the sap flows 2 inches should not hurt especially if you tap early (as many guys do) so the hole will not close off.

mapleman3
01-27-2005, 02:24 PM
always done 1 1/2" myself..

syrupmaker
01-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Hole depth affects the number of capilary tubes in the tree that are opened up when the hole is drilled less depth means fewer tubes opened.

I'm not saying drill straight thru the tree and put a tap on each side though.

Rick

Race
01-27-2005, 04:23 PM
I have always gone 2 inches including the bark . This is on trees averaging 14 inches in dia. Not sure what is correct but most around here go up to 2 1/2 inches deep.

JohnM
01-27-2005, 06:06 PM
This question came up at Ohio Maple Days in Morrow County last week.

The presenter from Ohio State Univ. recommended min 2" up to 3" taking care not to cut in to heart wood which can lead to off flavor.

I think about 2 " should do the job.

gmcooper
01-27-2005, 08:43 PM
I have heard the folks from Proctor on this and have to believe they have done thier homework on this. However I have in the past tapped 1 1/2-2" and now try for 1 1/2" max. I know most of the sap flow is in the out layers and in slow growing trees 1" would probably be all you could get measureable flow from. But in a good fast growing healthy tree 1" doesn't seem like enough.

Just my thoughts
Mark

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-03-2005, 03:42 PM
What Im going to do is, Drill my tree's to 11/2" depth . Then if they seem to dry up towards the end, I will take them to the 21/2" depth and also use the next size larger bit to reem them out.

Charlie

themapleking
02-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Don't waste your time with retapping. I've trade it all tapping the holes deaper, drilling the tap holes larger and even tapping a new hole. It all equals the same out come. You don't get enough sap from the hole for all the work thats done. If the hole dries up it's because the tree is going into the next stage (pre budding) There is nothing you can do to stop nature from doing her thing.

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi themapleking,
are you saying that even if I tap to early that the tree's should not close up??
Cuase everybody always says they will close up if you tap to early.

Remember Im jusy a silly Green Horn. :lol:

Ive been learning every thing from most of you guys.

Most everything I learned seem to be pretty true!

Charlie

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Charlie,

I tapped too early last year because I thought I was going to get a good early run that never happened and I paid for it in the log run. Joe(mapleking) is right about retapping--it is just a waste of time as I tried it last year and it didn't help very little if any. When the trees quit running, it's over. :?

themapleking
02-03-2005, 08:35 PM
If you tap too early, You risk a chanch of the holes drying up early.
Before the big runs come in march.
The long range 15day forecast shows 30's & 40's till wednsday feb12 than cold temps will be back.
If you tap now you might get a few gals syrup, but with a warm week than cold again for a week or so. The tap holes will close up faster due to the warming and freezing and warming again. Bactiera.
This weather is a pain in the *** but I would still wait. Put out a few tests. The trees were frozen for 2 1/2 weeks so it will take about 5 warm days to get good sap flow. By then the cold temps will be back. If the long range forecast is right :roll:
I don't know, your guys guess is as good as mine :idea:
Your tapping Reds whitch bud about a week before the sugars. and your useing buckets. So your taps will start to close a little faster than a tubing system. Just because the oxygen will be at the tap spout. A tubing system is inclosed a little more air tight.
Keep watching the weather and play it by ear. With the warm winter we all might have to tap a week early.
Like I said it's going to be a short fast season.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-03-2005, 09:11 PM
I can handle a short fast season. I have seen years where I could make well over a quart per tap in two weeks. That would be awesome and then pull the taps!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Guys that sounds like a plan.
Well it to late for the 25 I put out already. They just arent giveing anything up at this point!(6 gallons of sap in a week)
But I will wait till I see some one else tapping or my tree's start to flow like crazy befor I finish tapping the rest.

Thanks
again
Charlie

02-07-2005, 11:57 AM
I know there's a difference of opinion on the benefits of retapping, but I already tapped (maybe too early) If the holes dry out and I want to try reem out a 7/16" hole, would you just go with a 1/2" bit? I don't have that many trees so it wouldn't be that much trouble.

Mike

brookledge
02-07-2005, 06:03 PM
You defiately don't want to go to 1/2" the taps are designed for 7/16". If anything may be 15/32" or 29/64" But wait and see how things go. I know the weather for me is for two weeks with highs in the low to mid 30s. even though the last 3 days have been nice its still early.
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Here is some information that will be of interest to you about reaming your taphole again- http://cgilnt.aps.uoguelph.ca/cgi-bin/foliocgi.exe/maple.nfo/query=reaming+tapholes/doc/{@13155}? Mapleman3 has a disc that that i loaned him and made up a copy for myself and him and brandon and just maybe he will make 1 up for you??? It is full of this old research information that was published in the maple syrup digest. Sure wish i would have kept all my old issues that i sent to the dump about 15Yrs. ago- There's so much to read you'll forget more then you know.