PDA

View Full Version : Covering the evaporator

wattsup
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
I have a new evaporator and no hood for the pans. My thinking says that it is better to get the saturated air, steam, away form the pan. Doesn't a hood trap the steam hindering evaporation? I understand the hood allows for efficient pre heater.

JA

Sugarmaker
09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
A properly vented hood system also allows you to boil in a less steam filled environment. Making the boiling more enjoyable and drier. I have boiled in both and much prefer the hoods!

Regards,
Chris

Russell Lampron
09-11-2009, 07:29 PM
The draft from the steam stack on the hood will actually increase your evaporation rate alittle bit. It works just like the draft that pulls the air into the firebox. The hot water that drains out of it is nice for cleaning too. If you have a pre heater you get even more hot water.

In my case the hood almost eliminates condensation from dripping back down from the metal roofing. It was like working in the rain when I didn't have it.

Haynes Forest Products
09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I do believe that steam under high pressure is clear and carries higher heat. Steam that you can see is cooler so if you have a hood and the steam is contained under very low pressure will aid in boiling and more water vapor will exit the pans.

A completly closed hood does not create a draft it is a low pressure steam generator and is pushing the cooler steam out of the boiler.

mtnmeadowmplfarm
09-13-2009, 06:35 AM
I had a suspended hood fabricated for my flue pan. Once the steam starts rising it pulls a mean draft through the 12" stack. I also put a drip channel around the inside edge to collect condensation which works pretty well.