PDA

View Full Version : Forced air dispersal

Jim Schumacher
09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Those of you with Commercially built evaporators; How does the forced air terminate in the arch? Is there some type of dispersal fitting on it? I currently just have the pipe blowing right out the open end. It works well, but I was wondering if there is a better way...

brookledge
09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
My inferno arch puts air up through the grates and also piped up and all around the door. The air exits out nozzles over the door and the sides of the door.
The intensofire adds air over the fire also.
One thing for sure is that more emphasis has been on getting oxygen over the fire to get complete combustion of the gasses
Keith

Jim Schumacher
09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
By "over fire", do you mean that it is blown in near the top of the arch?? That would be similar to the after-burn in a modern woodstove, to introduce cold air to the gases so they ignite just before leaving the firebox but while they are still over 1100 degrees.

Jim Schumacher
09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Keith, Why do you suppose the air is blown out around the door?

brookledge
09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Cool air is channeled up and around the door to keep it cool.
Yes the air is blown in over the flame to add oxygen
Keith

Jim Schumacher
09-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Anyone else with a different type of evaporator?

Gary R
09-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Check out a thread called "wood burner efficiency". Brent started it. There is lots of info. on over fire arches

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=5534

dschultz
09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Anyone else with a different type of evaporator?

Jim,I have an intens-o-fire evaporator

buxtonboiler
09-09-2009, 03:30 PM
My forced draft goes under my grates, the end of the pipe is plugged and there are holes that allow the air to blow up through the grate. Thus feeding air from the bottom of the fire.

mtnmeadowmplfarm
09-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Jim,
if your blower is piped in through the back of the arch into the fire pit, give this a try. Find some lengths of well tile and cut them in 130 degree arcs. After that, and once they are cut to length, use a torch to create 1/2" diameter perforations on the center and left and right of center down each section of tile. Replace your grates with these new grates. Leave the blower piped into the rear of the fire pit and be sure the draft door on the front of the arch is closed during operation. Consider blocking it off with brick or arch board.

If you want to improve on that, put a junction on your blower inlet pipe and route a section of pipe through the arch at the top of the ramp. Run a pipe across the top of the ramp with 1" nozzles pointing into the fire pit. Be sure there are two dampers to control airflow to both points.

This is about the best 'homemade' forced draft system I have used.