PDA

View Full Version : Double saddles

Maplewalnut
09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Anyone have any pro's or con's on these. I currently have both singles and doubles in my bush.
Pro is that there are that many less holes drilled into your mainline and thus less chances for leaks.
Con-is that I am not sure if you have sap competing on both sides from two laterals if it doesn't decrease your sap per hole over the season. On vacumm if that matters.

brookledge
09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Likewise I use both singles and doubles.I think as long as you don't have a lot of taps on each lateral it won't affect the vacuum transfer since it is right at the mainline. See what others have to say
Keith

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-09-2009, 04:00 AM
I use both single and double saddles but no longer purchase any new doubles. I agree with Keith that the key is not having too many taps (ie. too much sap) coming into the saddle. I think that more sap can actually enter the mainline with proper vacuum transfer from a single saddle. If sap is entering from 2 directions the flow will be more turbulent. Imagine 2 streams of water meeting and the resultant wave that might be created at the point where they meet...
My 2cents

vermaple
09-09-2009, 06:43 AM
I use both singles and doubles, but I take a close look at the # of taps entering through the fitting. I try to keep the tap # to under 8.

ennismaple
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I've got some doubles but once the bag is finished I won't get any more. I figure the two sides will compete for the vacuum somewhat so I now prefer to use only singles.

Jeff E
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I have seen discusson on using quad star fittings, or 6 way fittings (usually used for sap ladders) for entry into mainline as well. The down side I remember hearing is that if you have a leak at one of your taps (say a hollow tree) all of the taps on that saddle will have significantly lower vacuum.

Having single saddles will reduce the loss of production from such a leak to a minor impact.

Rhino
09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Last year when we put a 400 tap expansion in, we used 5/16 barbed fittings with a 1/8 threaded pipe end. (black plastic) We ran our laterals over our mainlines, no more then 5 taps per line. where the laterals went over the main, we drilled the hole in the main, and threaded the fitting into the mainline, also used a little dap silicone for good measure. lateral just had a T pointed downward with a little piece of blue line to connect the T to the screwed in 5/16 barbs. The plastic barbs with the pipe threads I got at ace hardware, 50cents each, T's are around 20 cents. I used saddles before this method and with the cost I wont go back to them. If a branch/tree falls and pulls the threaded end out of the mainline, I just cut a piece of 3/4 mainline in half length wise and drill a new hole, screw it back in and use dap silicone and hose clamp it onto the existing hole that was rounded out from the force. Also works good on our 1/2 mainlines.