PDA

View Full Version : skylights in sugarhouse

MapleME
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I was thinking for my new construction it would be nice to have 2 skylights in the sugarshack. Any reasons I wouldnt want to do that? I was thinking of fixed non-opening skylights since they seem less expensive but sure could add a good amount of light to the operation.

mapleme

brookledge
09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
mapleme
The only thing that I could possibly think of might be dripping condensation. A lot depends on how you are going to get rid of the steam. Roofs that are very cold will drip the most. Wood usually will absorb some of the heat from the steam and not drip as bad as plain steel.
But as for putting in sky lights I'd say go ahead.
Good luck
Keith

3rdgen.maple
09-07-2009, 10:50 PM
If your roof does not drip steam you are missing out on one of the finer things in the sugarhouse:) My kids love it for some reason and make a game out of avoiding the drips. I personally love a steam filled sugarhouse as it adds to the character of boiling sap. I never thought about skylights in the sugarhouse. I think it would save on the light bill as well. I might have a new upgrade in the near future. I say go for it.

MapleME
09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Ahhh OK Thanks for the input. One other idea is skylights that open as roof vents. Kinda the modern day version on the old sugarshacks that had 2 sections of hinged roofs. If you had one on either side you could open as your roof vents, it would be pretty cool and may work well too to boot!

thenewguy
09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
I have sky lights in my sugar house. basically went to home depot and got 4 sheets of the clear poly roofing. its rippled the same as steel. Fits in with the roof and screwed down with no problems or cracking. Gives lots of natural light in the daytime and the sugar house looks amazing from the outside at night. No REGRETS..

Clan Delaney
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I put a LOT of windows in the shack when I built it, for the natural light benefits. My only possible regret is that I may have used up valuable wall space for shelves. Can't say for sure yet.

3rdgen.maple
09-08-2009, 08:29 PM
MapleMe If you are going to have them open and close just make sure you allow for expansion of any wood that would bind them up when the moisture from boiling hits them.

MapleME
09-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Clan, did you use legit windows for your shack or did you make some big plexi windows?

I put a LOT of windows in the shack when I built it, for the natural light benefits. My only possible regret is that I may have used up valuable wall space for shelves. Can't say for sure yet.

Clan Delaney
09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Plexi? Pfffft. I used the old windows from my own house when we put in the vinyls.

Clan, did you use legit windows for your shack or did you make some big plexi windows?

Littlesap
09-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I have sky lights in my sugar house. basically went to home depot and got 4 sheets of the clear poly roofing. its rippled the same as steel. Fits in with the roof and screwed down with no problems or cracking. Gives lots of natural light in the daytime and the sugar house looks amazing from the outside at night. No REGRETS..

Thenewguy, did you do the whole roof in clear poly or just sections? I'm on the verge of building a sugar house and have been debating this idea and also lining both walls with windows for the natural light - not sure if I will have electricity the first year.

maplecrest
09-16-2009, 09:16 AM
i put the fiber panels in my suar house roof when i built it new. the always leaked so i took them out. 10 years later. and they crumbled.i will say the light was great, but the puddles on the floor after every rain was a pain. mold and musty.