PDA

View Full Version : What pan (style) to build/buy?

Pete S
09-07-2009, 05:55 PM
This is a way down the road, but am looking (yes still) to build the shack and a masonry evaporator.

I'm thinking that the 2' x5' ish pans would be a nice size. We've been doing our work with a SMALL batch pan.

These divided pans have me scratching my head, as to how do they work, etc.

Do you employ the use of any preheated sap?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Ma says we won't be gettin' too big, and too soon,..............but you all know how wifes like suprises!

Thanks!

Pete

KenWP
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Yes she who must be obeyed loves suprises.

As to pans yes adding heated sap to the back of the pan makes for a better boli as cold sap slows down the boil in the pan. Check for threads about preheaters as there are hundreds of them. The divided pans have basically holes in one corner of each section so the sap is added to the first section and it boils and moves into the second section and keeps on boiling and getting stronger in syrup. The holes are are opposite ends on each section so it has to travel back and forth untill it gets to the end section where it concentrates into syrup and you draw it off. Remember that to start off you have to fill the whole pan with sap and as it boils you add sap to the one end. If I understand it it can't be too hard as I am one of these guys that has to be showen how things work inorder to understand it.
The pans with flues on the one end of course boil harder then flat pans but cost a arm and a leg to buy and of course need bigger operations to afford and to get enough sap to make worth while.

3rdgen.maple
09-07-2009, 11:08 PM
If you are planning on getting pans for a 2x5 might I suggest going up to a 2x6. The reason behind my madness is that if money is of concern which it is for most all of us you can upgrade a little at a time. I do not know of any 2x5 manufactured arches I am sure there probably is but the 2x6 is the most common. So first year 2x6 pans block arch, next year same pans stainless steel arch, third year same syrup pan and a nice flue pan. I might also suggest if this plan sounds good to you go with a 2 foot syrup pan. That way if you ever upgrade to a flue pan you can get the 4 foot one. Divided pans are simple. It just keeps raw sap from diluting the whole pan as it travels towards your drawoff side. Level level level keep everything level so the sap travels through the dividers correctly. And once she who must be obeyed realizes how much less time you spend boiling and more time with her she will approve of the new setup,,,,,,well atleast until you add more taps.

Greg Morin
09-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I just ordered a Phanuef 2x3 pan with a preheater and am going to use a block arch I hope it doesnt take till spring to get my pan!!!

heus
09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Good luck. Ordered a 2x6 in early April. Still waiting.

3rdgen.maple
09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Just wait till you see it you are gonna forget all about how long it took.

Jim Schumacher
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Man...Having a "she" to obey must add a whole new element to sugaring for you guys...;)