PDA

View Full Version : Now that is vac.

3rdgen.maple
09-04-2009, 01:39 AM
All I can say is wow, bored and checking out maple stuff on the web and came across this operation. Anyone familiar with this operation? http://vermontpuremaplesyrup.com/vt/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

maplwrks
09-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Yea---It's a huge operation, no $$$$$ spared. Boils on a steam pan.

caseyssugarshack93
09-04-2009, 06:33 AM
50,000 taps im pretty sure he has the last i knew all coming to the sugarhouse off the moutain, im not quite sure how many they have now,

Rhino
09-04-2009, 06:43 AM
That operation is unreal! To keep all the mechanical and working parts running through the season must be something. Lots of sleepless nights.

Amber Gold
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Reading some of the articles, he started his current company at 25,000 taps, at some point went to 50,000 taps, and an article from this spring says 70,000 taps. Not bad.

DS Maple
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
This guy was on TV not too long ago. The operation isn't open to the public though. What fun is that?

ennismaple
09-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Wowwwww!!! That setup makes mine look like I'm boiling over an open fire with a big black pot. Go big or go home!!!!

3rdgen.maple
09-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Well if that is the case Ennis I must be boiling in a soup can over a match:)

jason grossman
09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
i was there last year while they were boiling. a interesting thing to see with the steam boiler. but once you are there you know why it is not open to the public! 70,000 taps is impressive but i have also seen 185,000 into one sugarhouse with three 5x16 's side by side running full bore!! that was something!!! the amount of syrup coming out of that place was just SCARY!!

caseyssugarshack93
09-04-2009, 05:54 PM
i was reading some articles it said he can fill a 55 in 10 minutes

red maples
09-04-2009, 07:31 PM
impressive but just too big man...too much... he must have an army to get all that set up and keep it running!!!

3rdgen.maple
09-04-2009, 09:05 PM
One of the articles say he has only 2 employees that work with him on a regular basis but hires about 15 just to tap.

220 maple
09-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Jason,
Where is the 185000 tap operation? Must be in Canada. I heard rumors of 250000 tap operation that was being planned in the State of Maine. Just Rumors. The largest camp I heard of in the Mountain State of West Virginia is a 16000 tap camp, I also heard they made 800 gallon of syrup last year! Then again that's what all big camps avg. in this area. Apparently that's all the owners report.

Mark 220 Maple

jason grossman
09-05-2009, 11:57 AM
mark, the 185,000 tap is the largest single private owner in the world. ( there are larger but they are multiple owners or corprate owned. I can't remember his location exactly. i was with the owner of CDL on a three day tour of the gaspe penninsula of quebec then we went into new brunswick. so, either eastern quebec or new brunswick. it was quite a visit they were really churning out the syrup! filling 55 gallon druns like we fill pints!!!

maplecrest
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
i drove up there last spring and found the gate shut. i guess that meant no visitors.wanted to see the operation

3rdgen.maple
09-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Maplecrest the website saya they accept visitor but you have to contact them and make arrangements.

KenWP
09-06-2009, 07:29 AM
You guys read this web site he says its fresh product. Makes it sound like he makes it as you order it like Burger King. Also weird he trys to say he packages it as it's ordered and dosn't sit on a shelf. Whats the difference being in a barrel or a bottle . Go figure.Notice it says certified kosher never seen a rabbi standing watch. I have worked in a plant certified kosher and it had to have somebody there full time to make sure it always was kosher.

3rdgen.maple
09-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Just what is Kosher suppose to mean anyways? Is there a difference in what we all do without the inspector on site?

KenWP
09-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Kosher means it's made with no animal products or other products that do not go against the 400 plus food laws in the old Testement. Would take pages to write it all down. If you read the label on the defoamer it says Kosher also. One thing is porl products are definatly not Kosher.

halfast tapper
09-07-2009, 08:47 AM
You guys read this web site he says its fresh product. Makes it sound like he makes it as you order it like Burger King. Also weird he trys to say he packages it as it's ordered and dosn't sit on a shelf. Whats the difference being in a barrel or a bottle . Go figure.Notice it says certified kosher never seen a rabbi standing watch. I have worked in a plant certified kosher and it had to have somebody there full time to make sure it always was kosher.

The difference in sitting around in a bottle or drum is storage for one and light is the other. Even plastic jugs let some light in. Light = darkening of syrup faster. We can everything ourselves to order.
Also as far as fresh product it means he doesn't carry over last years crop.

KenWP
09-07-2009, 08:58 AM
I am one of these guys that guestions the news even.

brookledge
09-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Most producers today meet Kosher standards. However there are still some that use animal products like butter for defoamer. In the old days I have heard of producers that would hang a piece of salt pork on a string at the desired height and when the foam came up to it it would give off enough fat to kill the foam.
As long as you are 100% vegtable like corn or canola you are all set.
There should not be any other part of the syrup process that uses animal products as far as I'm concerned
Keith

red maples
09-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I have worked for a kosher caterer and man "not really that fun" but they pay pretty good!!! Too many rules but kosher doesn't mean no animal products the term kosher means to be "fit" or "proper", basically following the rules and being monitored or inspected depneding on what certification specs that are used there are several organizations that require similar specs but may not be exacty the same. Certified kosher beef for example is slaughtered a certain way all the way through to how it is butchered brined or salted and cooked and only certain parts of the animal are used( don't remember all of the rules) but "parve" is the correct term for no animal or dairy products coming in contact with food in any way not even stored in the same cooler to gether.

and as far as salt pork as a defoamer that would definitly be non-kosher because they do not chew their cud sp? thats why they don't eat pork. but chicken are really nasty animals and they eat those...go figure!!! but butter could be used it just wouldn't be "parve" but it could be kosher as long as it was kosher butter and couldn't be used durring passover and other holidays or specific times of the year because no dairy is used during those times.

we did get a rabi to eat bacon once and he loved it!!!!:lol:

brookledge
09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I know there are many rules that apply but for me it is easier to just say
I only use vegetable based defoamers and not worry which type and what time of year animal products can be used.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
The defoamer I use say's it is kosher. My grandfather always did the bacon trick. Along with some other old school tricks that are frowned upon in this day and age.