PDA

View Full Version : 2009 N.Y. State "Maple Tour"

Bucket Head
09-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Anybody here going on this years tour? Just wondering. My father and I are going.

Steve

Fred Henderson
09-04-2009, 03:47 AM
My wife and I are going.

sapman
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi Steve,

My wife and I are going again. My dad is coming this year, too! We'll have to meet up again, intentionally, this time!

Tim

Bucket Head
09-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi Tim,

Thats great! My father and I really enjoy the tours. I'm sure your father will also. Just mention to him that he might need a helmet, LOL! We'll see you there.

Steve

KenWP
09-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Okay whats the helmut for. Wonder if they ever have tours here. Course if a person could find out anything it would be a miracle.

Bucket Head
09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Ken,

The helmet thing is just a joke.

Last years tour included a tractor and wagon ride into a producers sugarbush, which was a little rough at the start. So I joked at the time we should bring helmets next year, just to be on the safe side.

I don't think we'll need helmets this year.

Well, wait a minute, I take that back. The tour is in Lake Placid. Sight of the '32 and '80 Winter Olympics. They still practice there. I know they offer bobsled rides there, I saw a brochure for it a while back.

Maybe we should bring a helmet!

I can hear it now, "Last one to the bottom has to wash the buckets next spring!"

Steve

3rdgen.maple
09-16-2009, 11:09 PM
there is a maple research center in lake placid as well. Is that where you guys go? I go to Lake placid actually Wilmington a few miles down the road many times from spring till bowhunting to flyfish the Ausable.. What beautiful country.

Fred Henderson
09-17-2009, 06:02 AM
The research center is one place that we will be going .Also an operation out in Chazy. The old sugarhouse at Heaven Hill farm is another. Heaven Hill farm offer the best view of the Adrondacks. I went there a few ago for a forestry meeting and it was breath taking.

brookledge
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Steve
I did the bobsled ride a few years ago when I was there in the summer it was pretty cool. Well worth it as far as I'm concerned We were only allowed up about 1/2 way so that the speed wouldn't get to fast in the bob sled set up with small rollers, If I remember right we were going 55 mph in the last banked curve.
Have fun
Keith

3rdgen.maple
09-17-2009, 10:19 PM
If you guys get the chance drive to the top of whiteface, You want to talk about a view. If there is a low cloud cover forget it cause the peak will be in the clouds and you are gonna see nothing. If you get a break and get up there on a clear day your gonna see more than NY state at the top.

Fred Henderson
09-18-2009, 02:56 AM
You can also take a gondala lift to the top of Whiteface or near the top if it is still open. It may have closed labor Day.

3rdgen.maple
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Not sure if the gondala is still open or not. That is a nice little ride as well. Even a coffee shop to get a bite to eat on the gondala ride. If you are afraid of heights you might want to skip that one though. Man I love that country up there especially when it is all colored up with maples in the fall;)

Fred Henderson
09-24-2009, 08:08 PM
My wife and I are staying over for 2 nights. Anyone else doing the same? If you can take the gondola ride to the top of Whiteface you can then rent a mountain bike and helment and ride it back down. I will be the old guy in the car taking the pic's of you young bike riders.