PDA

View Full Version : Sugar House is started

johnallin
09-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Well we're off and running now. After much deliberation the sugar house is being built. Small - 18x14 - by many of the standards I've seen here, but will do for us.

Footers are rubble trench style - 42" x 12" trench filled with washed river stone with a drainage trench to daylight. Floor is a thickened slab with 12" ends and a 6" thick floor. Floor is tied together with ½" rebar spaced every 20" or so running both directions held up metal risers. The walls will sit up on 2 courses of filled block on top of the floor tied in with bent rebar, a floor drain has been installed in the corner.

Structure is going to be eastern hemlock timber frame joined with mortise and tennons and pegs. Designed by Scott Carlson of Sweetgrass Joinery, that work has been started we hope to raise in early October. If I can, I will try to attach some photos.

Sugarmaker
09-01-2009, 08:46 PM
John,
Would like to see your sugar house some time! I know you guys are in competition for the best sugar house in NE Ohio. :) Good luck and enjoy!
Regards,
Chris

brookledge
09-01-2009, 09:04 PM
John
Sounds like you have been bit by the maple bug. Nothing wrong with it though.
Good luck
Keith

red maples
09-02-2009, 08:24 AM
another on the bites the dust...

johnallin
11-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Been working on our timber framed sugar house for the past 4 weeks. Slow but sure and the roof and cupola are almost finished. Got the roof jack up today....Next is the hemlock siding and some doors, and bricking the new Leader 2x6 etc,etc.....

Link below will take you to some pictures of the raising on Oct 24 - click on the album with the timber on a trailer.

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnallin8293

3rdgen.maple
11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Man that looks pretty sweet. What a great thing to know how to build like that. By the way I really like the picasaweb picture site as well. Loads superfast and no popups. I have been contemplating downloading pics but I hate how slow photobucket is and not to mention the popups. I think it won me over. Good job and be sure to post follow up pictures when it is done.

johnallin
11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
3rdGen,

Thanks but all of the hard work was done by Scott Carlson of SweetGrass Joinery. Sweetgrassjoinery.com (http://sweetgrassjoinery.com) He is probably one of the most dedicated timber framers in the Ohio area, but at the same time one of the most humble people you will ever meet.

Under his supervision we only did the raising of the building but, he did all the cutting, joinery and layout over a two month period of time. I am now doing all of the roofing, cupolla, stacks, doors and siding, but it is nothing compared to what Scott did. Credit is due where credit is earned.

Slow but sure I am closing in on Feb and maple time.....

brookledge
11-29-2009, 09:15 PM
John
Very nice looking sugarhouse
Keith

3rdgen.maple
11-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Well John be sure to tell Scott his work looks incredible. You make me want to tear mine down and start all over. Think I could do it by Febuary:) .

40to1
11-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Wow! Great looking structure! It's going to be worth more than your house!
Please post more photos as the project progresses. It got the gears in my brain cranking....