PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seeing sudden die off of sugar maple branches?

TroutBrookSH
09-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Over the last several years I've been buying sugar maples from nurseries, auctions, and transplanting from my woods into my yard. Due to the rain this year they've all experienced explosive growth. Recently I've noticed that several of them have had sudden die off of branches. The leaves on some branches just wilt and die. I'm concerned because every couple days I see another branch wilting and dying.

I'm planning to get in touch with the local cooperative extension, but was wondering anyone is having a similar experience?

Greg

TroutBrookSH
09-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Not good. I have three trees that show the basic symptoms -- wilting leaves and stains are observed within the cut limbs. Seems like it's going to kill them and fairly quickly.

Quick snippet from link below: Maple wilt, also called Verticillium wilt, is a common and serious disease of maples. The destructive soil-borne fungus, Verticillium, kills many maples each year throughout North America.

http://www.treehelp.com/trees/maple/maple-diseases-maple-verticillium-wilt.asp

C.Wilcox
09-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I had this on a number of my box elders last year. Lost some pretty significant portions of the crowns in the trees that got it, but they all survived and are recovering slowly.

Revi
10-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Trees up near Quebec City are dying from acid rain. The acid rain makes them put on growth in the fall which is killed by the winter.

I saw quite a few sugarbushes that were nearly dead up there.