PDA

View Full Version : Sugar house insulation

firetech
08-30-2009, 08:36 PM
I've got the barn up, roof sheeting is on,doors and windows installed. The plumber brother was over and said pull anther 1in of fill out so we can set the floor drains. Yippy. Need some thoughts for insualtion in the attic, yes there is a steel ceiling in the evapator room and hoods going on the pans no cupala. the side walls are going to be hard foam 2" worth and maybe a layer of spray on foam. there are 3 zones of in floor heat being installed in the building also. My concern now is the attic space. hard foam2" or vapor barier and blown in fiber glass. My bro says that I should foam spray the roof steel also to reduce condesation. please kick back some thoughts and ideas.

brookledge
08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd stay away from any type of insulation that can absorb moisture. Spray on foam or rigid foam I think are your best options. I put 1" rigid foam inbetween my rafters so the steam would not touch the metal roof and condensate.
Keith

Fred Henderson
08-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Spray foam it all.

Clan Delaney
09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Speaking as someone who spent the post-sugaring season evicting a weasel that had taken up residence in the insulation in my garage... I'd advise against using any insulation that 4-legged vermin could decide to live in. They crap where they live, which means they crap where you make syrup, and if you put this insulation in your attic that means they crap above where you make syrup... something to think about.

And for my money, spray foam insulation is wicked cool! :cool:

red maples
09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
oh yes those critters...before I did the roof and facia on my house I had squirrels... and they just shread fiberglass and foam board like nobodys business. mice too man!!!! got a cat and she got a few mice but she plays with for a bit and then lets them get away...##%$%(*#% cat but the moisture is one important factor in the sugarhouse!!!

Jeff E
09-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I used regular batt insulation, but sealed the walls and ceiling. I also have hoods and direct 99%+ of the steam out. Take a look at the sugarhouse pics on the link.

I have had no problems. If I could do it again and could have afforded it, I would have done spray in insulation for the already mentioned reasons, but no complaints for how mine is working.