PDA

View Full Version : Home made automatic drawoff

gmcooper
01-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Had to ask if anyone tried to make thier own drawoff? After looking hard all last season at spending the money for one I looked even more at different brands this winter. Than I started to think (usually not for the best) I found the same thermal controller that CDL uses in my Grainger Book. I also found solenoid valves that will work with the unit and temp probes. the unit would run on 110v. The solenoid valve would be similar to the Macrland set up. Cost would be about $500 or less shopping online.
Any thoughts?
Mark

DougM
01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Mark,
we had assembled the parts to make our own at the end of last season. Then we ended up buying another righ that had one on it. My dad is an electrician and had gotten some digital controllers similar to the Marcland unit for us (not as many functions, but has a set point to open the valve, and a current temp. reading). He had also gotten us a valve to go with it.

Let me see if we still have the stuff around, and I may be able to save you a lot more $$.

Doug

gmcooper
01-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Apparently I was not the only one thinking in this direction. I did a little more research late last night and actually found most of the components on Ebay. There are lots of controllers and many valves that will work or at least in theory work. I'll post some part # in a day or so.
Mark

gmcooper
02-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Been busy lately and have done some checking. There are dozens of thermocontrollers on the market that will work fine just need on that reads to 10th degree. As for the solenoid valves some on the market will work fine others have to many components that come in contact with hot syrup to remain safe to use. I have found the solenoid that will raise a plunger but have not found a suitable plunger to work with it.
Mark

sweetwoodmaple
02-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Mark

I went through the same thing myself a year or so ago. I have a whole folder of temp controllers, thermocouple and thermowells, valves, etc. I could definately do it less expensive than Marcland. The super cheap route is not really possible because the low end controllers aren't accurate enough.

Just some food for though...when I boil sap, I am watching over everything like a hawk. I fire with wood, so that is part of the reason I guess. Therefore, the automatic drawoff would be great and all, but I'm afraid that I look at the thermometer so much it would not be needed. In the end, I decided that money could spent better elsewhere.

Good luck if you decide to build your own. Hope sap flows good for you this year. I tapped on Feb 5 since I am pretty far south here in Mercer.

Brian

Mike
02-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Mark, $500 for a solenoid valve is a lot. You can get a 1" SS solenoid valve for $183..................or the whole set up for $793, $716 or $635....Your not shopping in the right places.....

gmcooper
02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Mike the $500 was for the toatal setup not just the valve. Sorry about the confusion on that. Depending on the day I looked you could get all the components on ebay for about $150. Not including switch, on light, and box to mount controls in or wire. The way things are going Imay not have time to put one together this season. to many projects and not enough time for them.
Mark