PDA

View Full Version : looking for timberframe S/H plans

thesweetlife
08-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post. I’m looking for some help on making a new sugar house. I have a 12X16 shed converted to a S/H with a 2X6 Grimm Lightning. I have been using it for about 10+ years and am looking to build my last one that will last forever. I have a portable saw mill and enough ambition to make a timber frame S/H. I am asking anyone if they have any thoughts on plans or where I could purchase some plans. I am interested in making a building with a kitchen and storage and enough room for new toys. I am interested in any ideas. Looking to make a real business out of this someday.

brookledge
08-30-2009, 09:06 PM
I think the best thing you could do is visit some sugarhouses. You are in central NH so you could easilly get some ideas from other producers and see what works and what doesn't. Most of us build from scratch and there is no master plans just many years of trial and error.
Like I said I think you will find the best info you can get will be from other producers sugarhouses
Good luck
Keith

tuckermtn
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
where in central NH are you? sugarhouses lend them selves very well to timber frames...

StewieSugar
08-31-2009, 07:25 AM
I have dreams, too, of building my sugar house with a timberframe. I drafted some plans last year using Google Sketchup. It's strictly the frame, so it's lacking the details of sinks, windown, etc., but I've included details of all the joints/cuts.

I tried to attach a PDF version, but the file size (at 44 kB) is larger than allowed (at 19 kB). If you're interested in the PDF or Sketchup file, I can e-mail them to you.

Snow Hill Farm
08-31-2009, 01:15 PM
I hired a saw mill to cut hemlock and pine I dragged out of my woods and built my own timber frame sugarhouse. You won't regret it! For most of it I didn't notch and use dowels because of time limits but instead used the timberlock screws, they worked great. I work for an engineering firm and do a lot of AutoCAD work and drew my own plans which helped a lot. When the saw mill came I had a detailed list of parts and pieces I needed. My sugarhouse is 14 x 22 with an additional 7 x 22 woodshed off one side and a 12 x 16 tank shed off the back. The frame is 6 x 6 hemlock and I used 1" pine board (shiplaped) for siding. I used a dado blade on my table saw for the shiplap. I always like to tell people that the wood for the entire structure cost less than the metal roof (if you don't count my time, just like everything in sugaring). Definitely do it if you have the logs and a saw mill!

vtmaplemaker
08-31-2009, 07:33 PM
T S W you left out some details for us... How big is the biggest you plan to ever get? How many toys? Will they be stored inside during the season? Send me a PM if you would like to come look at my place, and get some size ideas. Mine is not a timber frame but could be made from one very easily. I also have alot of experience in TF's and could help out with some advice if needed....

Pete S
09-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Look through the members list and contact Justin Turco.

Not only a NICE shack, but a good guy!

The shack is actually a masterpiece, and shows what I feel is simply excellent quality of craftsmanship using recycled materials in some areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI0qLYqxOAo

Pete

cncaboose
09-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Check with Vermont extension for a publication they have on sugar house design and construction. Lots of ideas and some complete plans that can be altered to fit your size and needs.

StewieSugar
09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Check with Vermont extension for a publication they have on sugar house design and construction.

I found it at:

http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/sugarhousedesign.pdf

They also have other publications that look interesting/useful:

http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/?Page=onlinepublications.html

Sugarmaker
09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Check out Jasons from NE Ohio Very nice TF sugarhouse.

Ours is not timber frame but I had a lot of fun building it and a lot of compliments too. Will it be my last one? Maybe! :) unless Cheryl hits the lotto!

Regards,
Chris

johnallin
09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
You may want to look at sweetgrassjoinery.com for some ideas. The fellow's name is Scott Carlson and he specializes in timber frame. He has done 2 or 3 sugar houses around here along with many barns and other structures, they are works of art to say the least. May be able to do some design work for you.
Good Luck.

thesweetlife
09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
thank you everyone for your thoughts. I am going to get into contact with sweetgrass today. I saw some of his pictures and they are amazing. Also I have printed a copy of the UVM doc. months ago and have used alot of the ideas in it for my plans. Thanks again. I love this site.

MountainViewMaple
09-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Here is a timber frame we have built in the past.