PDA

View Full Version : uv light

chrisnjake9
08-29-2009, 05:35 PM
anybody on trader use a koi UV light its about 1/3 the money and dose more gph was wondering how it would work item is new thanks

3rdgen.maple
08-30-2009, 01:31 AM
I asked this same question earlier this year. You can go back and dig the post up. It got alot of negative replies and like you said the gph on them are higher and they are cheap. Before I installed them on my koi pond I was fighting Algae problems all the time. The ponds are crystall clear since I put them in. I think the key is that the water is under constant recirculation. I still think if you were to set them up to recirculate sap while you were sleeping they will work.

KenWP
08-30-2009, 08:02 AM
One thing you will find is that for a lot of equipment for maple syrup it is over priced when you buy it from the suppliers. Take SS fittings you can go to a local farm supply dealer and buy SS fittings for a lot less money. Makes sense to set up systems to run at night on their own so that you can start fresh in the morning.
Can't hurt to try the cheaper UV lights and see if you get a good return from them. It's obvious they are made to run longer then maple UV light systems because people have fish all year long and sap runs 20 days a year if we are lucky.

Grade "A"
08-30-2009, 07:31 PM
The amount of sap you have each day would make a big difference. If you had 200 gallons a day it may work, but with 2000 gallons a day it may not do much.

chrisnjake9
08-30-2009, 08:48 PM
max flow rate is 4400 gph it a 36 watt uv light

jason grossman
08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
i use a pond uv light and it has worked fine for 5 years now. i am on the second light though and probably a new one next year. it is quite large, it runs a lot i just have to recirculate so it does not over heat! but it was half the price of a maple light and works just fine! no problems with my sap! i just have to have the lead apron on when i get close to it!!:lol:

chrisnjake9
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
question? do you know how much bacteria it kills on a pass the maple ones say 99% is killed

jason grossman
08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
don't know if my last post camr thruogh. i am not sure on the kill rate of our light. i know it is supposed to sterilize a 15,000 gallon pond in a day. we slow the flow with a valve to increase exposure time.

Grade "A"
08-31-2009, 05:13 AM
max flow rate is 4400 gph it a 36 watt uv light

WOW, I didn't know they were rated for that much. I might try one.

Haynes Forest Products
08-31-2009, 08:27 AM
I would look at the rating. I have one from a hot tub supply and was told that what it will "handle" and what it will "treat" are two seperate issues. Restricting the pump is the "handle" part of the equation. Having a strong enough light and slow flow rate is the "treat" part. Recirculation is going to help but it wont do it 100%

I would bet that if you were to clean or even sanitize ALL your storage tanks, pumps and filters every day you would have less bacteria to deal with than using lights.

Jeff E
09-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I tried a pond UV light last year, and the housing didn't hold up. I may have been pushing to much sap into it as the bottom bulged and the seal failed.

I did not have it on a circulation, but on sap as it came into the sugar house.

I think it should work great, if installed properly:)

chrisnjake9
09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I ordered a new 55 watt uv light for 100.00 on ebay hope it works

Brent
09-06-2009, 09:31 PM
to get a drinking water bateria kill to NSF standards, the 10 GPM Trojan UV max sells at about $1200. You might have spent the $ 100 better if you put in a 1 micron filter.

As I posted elsewhere on the UV idea, the Sapsaver system is about $ 3000.

It takes a real powerful light with a special encloser that keeps the distance between the bulb wall and container wall very small because the sugars etc in the sap absorb the UV.