PDA

View Full Version : Stack Cover

Dennis H.
08-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Well I finally got a chance to start on my new stack cover.

I managed to get most of it complete this evening, about 2 hrs. I should be able to finish it up this weekend sometime. I just need to do the finish welding and then bolt the lid to the frame.

I used a stainless steel pot lid for the cover. I turned it over for so that it would not hold water. Heck the handle is still on it.

I still also have to attach the steel rods that the lines will attach to so I will be able to open and close it from the sugarshack.

Here are the drawings that I did up.

Dennis H.
08-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Here are a few pics of what I managed to complete of my stack cover.

I still have to weld on tabs that I will use to attach the lid and I also have to weld on a piece of pipe on the one side for the rods that will be used to open and close the cover.

Fred Henderson
08-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Just remember that anything that you put in the weather that is NOT SS will rust and bind in time. Other than the afore said you have done a good job.

Gary R
08-29-2009, 07:17 AM
I like the pot lid idea:) You come up with some good ones. Looks great. I used aluminum and slightly bent over the edges to keep rain out.

Dennis H.
08-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Yeah I thought about the rust issue. I just wasn't sure about cutting and welding stainless.

The only thing that is steel to steel is the allthread and the frame that the lid is attached to, and I made sure that the hole that the allthread goes thru that it has enough room for free movement.

This is also a 6" flue so I figures if I upgraded the evap I would most likely have to go to a larger dia stack.

vermaple
08-29-2009, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=Dennis H.;81553]Well I finally got a chance to start on my new stack cover.
I still also have to attach the steel rods that the lines will attach to so I will be able to open and close it from the sugarshack.

I chuckle at almost every stackcover that I see with two lines on it. When I set up about 28 years ago I bought a stack cover from leader with one arm on it. The arm is angled up at about 45 degrees, and one line to it. Pull release, cover opens leaving the arm angled up at about 45 degrees. Pull release, cover closes. Only one line, never a question as to which line to pull. Maybe it's to simple, but I have never figured out why Leader changed their design.

Fred Henderson
08-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Mine opens with one SS wire. Its an over center design. Pull it open and tye off wire, release wire and it closes.