PDA

View Full Version : 40 gal stock tanks

ctjim
08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
looking at tsc and they have some 40 gal stock tanks that are made from some recycled plastic material i believe, supposed to be chemically neutral i was thinking of picking up a couple or at least 1 for a collector for my gravity lines i plan to set up in a new area that i'm able to tap. was wondering if they're a possibility or not price wise i think they're a good deal $31.99. i would probably just pump the sap out of it up to the truck.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_28492_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

mountainvan
08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Those tanks will last a long time, so they're a good deal. I have some 100 gal that I've used for 15 years.

tessiersfarm
08-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't use them for sap but I had one I used for winter water for my beef critters. Beat the ice out of it twice a day for 5 seasons before it finally paid me back. Replaced it with the same thing within hours, great deal. As has been already said they also have 110 gallon ones for about $60. You cant beat the price per gallon.

jrthe3
08-29-2009, 07:06 PM
We had a long talk about doing this at our last ***. meeting the prob with these tanks is that they are made from recycled plastic witch includes oil jugs and buckets pestacide containers and other chemical containers this goes back to the garden hose talk "stock tanks" of any kind or type are not food grade and there in no drinking water standards for cows i would stay away from that not rated for pottable water you could buy the "stock tank" the if the usda or health department sees it for some reason the could make you buy the right tank then you out the money for the first tank i would buy the right tank the first time and be done with it

KenWP
08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Who makes the tanks and contact them and find out what they use to make them. With the heat and the way they make the tanks they could be safe. There is also several checks and balances for consumer saftey with stock tanks also. You can not just feed critters people eat just anything anymore. I would be surprised if the tanks are not made better then some human products are. I worked for one of the largest food comapnys in the world and you would not beleive the way we had to cover our butts when it came to food saftey. I even passed a independant audit of food saftey one day with absolutly no worning it was comeing. The fellow that did it had no idea that we took such care with the food on his table and how clean I kept the barns his food was raised in.

ctjim
08-29-2009, 07:59 PM
i know these aren't food grade, but i see a fair amount of non food grade collection tanks used. for example the oval galvanized stock tanks they also sell at tsc and other farm stores. price wise the stock tanks are a good idea but i would feel safer using a food grade material which i can also get, and most likely will.