PDA

View Full Version : Poor man's vacuum(?)

Beweller
08-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Harbor Freight offers a 12 volt "utility pump" for $28. The specifications include self priming, so it can handle a reasonable amount of gas, a lift of 23ft, so it can develop a reasonable vacuum, and a running current of 5 amps, so it should easily run all day on a deep discharge battery, maybe even on your truck's battery.

Similar pumps are offered at a number of sources from prices ranging from $40 on up. Sprayer pumps and RV water pumps represent similar pumps.

These pumps suggest a simple vacuum system for the small operator who does not have power available at his bush. The system consists of the pump drawing on the sap line, powered by a storage battery, and discharging into a suitable container at atmospheric pressure.

What is the life of these pumps? What vacuum and sap flow (number of taps) can be handled?

How about someone giving it a try.

KenWP
08-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I thought poor mans vacuum was when I put my sugar bush right beside Therons and then scabed a line across and borrowed vacuum to run mine.

I would thingk that they are not made to run constantly day after day after day and would burn out in a short time. I have burnt up enough 12 volt sprayer pumps as it is.

Haynes Forest Products
08-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Doesnt the pump need liquid going thru the pump to cool and lubricate the seal. Most pumps will self prime but for only a small amout of time. I bet the vacuum is only 10 hgs at best

vermaple
08-26-2009, 06:08 AM
Doesnt the pump need liquid going thru the pump to cool and lubricate the seal. Most pumps will self prime but for only a small amout of time. I bet the vacuum is only 10 hgs st best

I agree with you. Anyone who has pumped much sap realizes that a pump will pump well long after it stops drafting well due to worn seals. One shot of grit in a pump can take the seals out of a clean water pump.

3rdgen.maple
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Just to clarify things a little a poor mans vacume system is all buckets:D