PDA

View Full Version : dairy pump

PATheron
08-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Guys- I have a surge alamo 100 plus dairy pump real nice condition. If I use it to run a thousand taps will I find that I can just turn it on in the morning and run it at a reasonable level, maybe 18", and it will work pretty decent for me or is it going to use tons of oil, get hot, etc? Appreciate the advice. Theron

caseyssugarshack93
08-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Does it have 3 oilers Theron? and have a oil reclaimer,

You been Really buying up the old dairy pumps lol :lol: and id say u should beable to run 19-20 if it has a oil reclaimer, the 100 is a pretty big pump,
Have any pictures Of it ?

PATheron
08-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I dont have any pics, Ive got to get up to speed on that. It does have 3 oilers I think coming down from the tub on top of it must be the reclaimer. Think itll work pretty good for me? Theron

caseyssugarshack93
08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
yes thats a oil reclaimer you should be set , make sure the oilers and everything is clean, and make sure everything is flowing, and u should be set for 19-20, thats what i ran last year with no problems, there pretty reliable, unless you suck up sap, thats where a moisture trap comes in play, you should be in good shape to start it in the morrning and not worry about it till you collect or whatever, but hey if you feel better with 18 then run 18,

Haynes Forest Products
08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
We need pictures. Its like the VW engine the first thing you did when you wanted more HP was put a bigger oil cooler on it so it could handle the HP. Then came the bigger oil tank then a filter. Why settle for 18-20 when you can go for 26 at the pump and then get 18-20 in the bush.

caseyssugarshack93
08-22-2009, 06:49 AM
here's some pictures of haynes flood system on the massport pretty neat set up, i was thinking about making one myself just havent had the time,

caseyssugarshack93
08-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Does the pump say its a 100plus theron?, it may look good,but it may be tired inside and not handle the job just to be on the safe side i would take the end plate off and make sure everything is ok inside, and i would check and see if there is any end play in the bearrings just to safe , if all thats good then you should be set for the job and ready to go

vermaple
08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
New bearings are cheap compared to replacing broken vanes if the bearings fail. Bearing failure is the usual cause of blown vane vacuum pumps.

KenWP
08-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I worked for years with vane pumps and one of the worst things for them was sucking on a plugged line. Seems to eat the vanes down real fast compared to sucking with gain instead. I have put brand new vanes in and had them ruined in short order with a guy standing there watching it trying to suck a plug up the hose and smoke pouring out the exhuast until I woke him up and got it shut down.

Haynes Forest Products
08-23-2009, 09:24 AM
KenWP Im intrested in the plugged up term verses max vacuum. Running a dairy pump at max vacuum without oiler modification would kill the pump. After I modifyed my Massport to flood oil I ran my pump without a regulator for over an hour with the intake plugged with a welding glove at 26-28 hgs without overheating. I dont run any regulators on either of my pumps the Gast dry vane pump or the beast. The key to getting the max out of the dairy pumps is alot of cooled down oil running thru the pump.

KenWP
08-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Well you guys use more oil then these were set up to use also. I could have screwed the oilers down till they ran more oil but then it used a lot of oil due to no reclaimer. Also when it sucked liquid through the pump it would go into the oil reclaimer also. I tried to teach these guys that if it didn't fill a tank of water in so many minutes to figure out why not keep sucking untill it smoked.

These pumps actually had fittings for reclaimers on them to hook up a return line to the resevoir but I had never seen one hooked up due to the water problem when they filled the tank. I could pump for years on the same vanes if I did all the pumping but hard to do that and get more important stuff done also.

By plugged up I mean the gauge was buried but no gain as the intake hose was plugged solid with usually barley hulls. I have had to take the intake hose off and actually dig it out with a steel rod to unplug it.