PDA

View Full Version : Tapping bits

Farmboy
08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
What kind of bits are you guys using for tapping. Also I am wondering what the small producers use for drills. Thanks farmboy

KenWP
08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
So far I have been useing regular metal bits for tapping. I have several different kinds but the last one I found works the best. Its made by a comapny called Vermont something and has a fast pitch to it and drills holes better. I had it for years still in the plastic case. I am going to try and sharpen a Titanium bit with a shaper point on it like the ones the maple dealers sell and see if that works.
I have a brace but can't find a proper wood bit that will drill wet wood so I have to find a regular bit with a traingle head on it.

3rdgen.maple
08-18-2009, 11:49 PM
I use boat builder auger bits on a 18 volt cordless Ryobi. It is my preference as I have tried years of different bits and I like them the best.

Gerryfamily5
08-19-2009, 05:35 AM
I also have tried nearly every type of bit and drilling contraption.I have found the combo I like best;18 volt Dewalt w/ a bit you can get from Bascoms.It's the "canadian" 19/64,drills perfect holes in wet or frozen wood and doesn't put extra load on you drill.What to look for is good size flutes so wood chips clear w/out binding or jambing.The bit I use came from D&G and only cost $12.

stoweski
08-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Has anyone tried using a brad point bit for tapping? Seems like the perfect bit for the job. As a hobby woodworker they drill a smooth, clean hole.

Vermont American does make some good products. Inexpensive compared to other name brands. I've had good luck with them.

Also, as someone who is just starting out, what is the difference among the three sizes of bits, 5/16, 19/64, and 7/16. My guess would be that the 5/16 & 7/16 are for the two different size spouts, but why the 19/64?

Thanks!
Keith

mapleack
08-19-2009, 07:13 AM
IMHO the "canadian" tapping bits are definately the way to go, just don't go spending $20 to get one. There are alot of small dealers that have them for $10 or less, some of the big maple companies are obviously making a huge profit on them. As for "brad point" wood bits, I dont recommend using them. Yes they do a great job, but I have a nice scar on the underside of my left index finger from tapping without gloves, cleaning shavings off the bit with my left hand, slipping, and running that needle sharp point right down to the tendon. I was still in college when that happened, super glued it shut and went to take an exam, at least I'm right handed!

KenWP
08-19-2009, 08:03 AM
I figure they use 19/64 so that the hole is one 64 less then the tap. I use the 19/64 bits for the 5/16 holes. I can drill 3 of those holes compared to one 7/16 hole.

ennismaple
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
18V Dewalt is the best way to go. I was the biggest fan of Tanaka gas powered drills until I started using cordless drills. Now you couldn't pay me to switch back!

I use the 19/64" frozen/unfrozen bits my dealer carries. I'm sure there are other bits out there you can get for less that may do an equivalent job but I'd rather not risk it when I've got 4,000 taps to install in a weekend!

RUSTYBUCKET
08-19-2009, 06:02 PM
With our small operation, we tap using a brace and bit. Bits are 7/16" from D&G. The bits are manufactured by Irwin Industrial so I'm sure the big name hardware stores carry them. We've had a couple of the pilot tips break but with the warranty, the company replaced the bit at no charge.

Russ

brookledge
08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I use the fast spiral bits and I get them at MSC
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
I use the short twist drill bits 7/16 that are titanium coated and after 5 years they are as sharp as day one. As long as the coating is still on the leading edge I see no reason to try and improve the edge. Whats nice is with the short bit it doesnt stick in your leg as deep as the drill swings down and hits your calf after you get it caught on a sapling.

stoweski
08-28-2009, 06:42 PM
With our small operation, we tap using a brace and bit. Bits are 7/16" from D&G. The bits are manufactured by Irwin Industrial so I'm sure the big name hardware stores carry them. We've had a couple of the pilot tips break but with the warranty, the company replaced the bit at no charge.

Russ

I went on Irwin's website and found their tapping bit. However, I asked a friend who owns an Ace Hardware in town if he can get it. He called Irwin and they claim it has been discontinued since 12/07. :(

I wonder if they make something similar on their site.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-18-2009, 09:44 PM
I have went thru 3 seasons and 1500+ taps on one of the $ 20 Canadian tapping bits from Bascoms. Yeah, I could have probably gotten it cheaper somewhere else, but in terms of money spent in maple, this is the best $ 20 I have ever spent. I bought a spare a couple of years ago and it has never been used, better safe than sorry.

buxtonboiler
09-19-2009, 01:50 AM
I currently have 50 taps (100 for 2010). I use a craftsman 19.2 volt drill. always have an extra battery. lightwieght and easy to handle. Also fits good in the 5 gallon bucket i use to carry taps and tools in the woods.

homefarm
10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
What kind of bits are you guys using for tapping. Also I am wondering what the small producers use for drills. Thanks farmboy

im thinking of 5/16 fast spiral HSS bits from mcmaster carr what do you think im using treesaver taps ....Chris........

KenWP
10-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I found a new 7/16 bit in the tool box that should work good. I used a fast spiral bit last spring that also worked well. It seemed to pull the wood out of the hole a bit better then the regular HSS bit I was useing. I need to find small bucket spouts instead of the 7/16 ones and I could drill a lot more holes before running out of steam with the drill.

red maples
10-16-2009, 08:23 AM
So I bought 10 of those new blue plastic bucket taps. they say they are 5/16 tap do they use a 5/16 bit too? and are they any good? they look really small.

any comments on them??

sapman
10-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I got one of the Canadian bits last year, and paid too much for it, but I LOVE it. Don't want to use anything else. I get a lot more taps per battery with it.

Tim

Farmboy
10-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I will probably go with a brad point bit because I'm only doing about 80 to 140 taps. I might get a tapping bit if I get a good deal on one when I go to Duffuces (sp) sugar shack when I get my 275 gallon tote or if I take a ride over to Red Bucket sugar shack.

maplecrest
10-19-2009, 11:36 AM
good clean tap hole are the most important part of the whole maple process. the 20 dollars spent on a bit from bascoms will be the best 20 you will spend.and when they dont bite put on a new one. i can get 2500 holes out of a bit if i am careful. then time to change.took 3 bits to do 7000 taps last year.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I totally agree about the $ 20 Canadian tapping bit from Bascoms. I have used one for 3 seasons and it has done aprox 1500 taps and it still is about like new. I bought a spare one a couple of years but haven't used it. It is the best $ 20 I have ever spent in mapling.

sapman
10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
This is a great point (pun intended)! Especially with vacuum, when I go and check holes, if there are some that won't seal well, it's a major problem, and that goes back to poor tapping usually.

Tim

good clean tap hole are the most important part of the whole maple process. the 20 dollars spent on a bit from bascoms will be the best 20 you will spend.and when they dont bite put on a new one. i can get 2500 holes out of a bit if i am careful. then time to change.took 3 bits to do 7000 taps last year.

red maples
10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
I bought the $20 canadien bit from bascoms and had to try it out. beautiful!!! you don't have to push, it does all the work for you. and removes all the wood bits from the hole too. can't wait to use it on live trees. Just tested it on a log. as long as I don't drop it on a rock or loose it in the snow it should a long time!!!

KenWP
10-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Can you not sharpen the drill bits if they get dull. If you can sharpen a steel drill bit a wood one should be a peice of cake.

3rdgen.maple
10-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Oh boy hear we go the start of a thread on sharpening something. This will get ugly:rolleyes: I personally use boat builders bits. I like it more than the
canadian tapping bit I have used. A little more money yet but nice clean holes. They have some kinda of fancy spiral or twist to them.

KenWP
10-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Ah but to find one in 7/16 or 5/16 is the problem. I found them in bigger sizes and I fould one in a set with lots of bigger ones but never alone. They also make one with a real long stem but I would have to cut a foot of to use it. owell such is life.

3rdgen.maple
10-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Ken i got mine online I will look it up later and let you know. There are many many sizes. You can get one or hundreds or get kits. The ones I got only fit a 1/2 chuck and are 6 inches long.