PDA

View Full Version : the host from america's test kitchen

red maples
08-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Hey anyone watch that show america's test kitchen? it's on PBS, Well there was an article in the Boston globe the other day and the guy that hosts it. He makes maple syrup!! He doesn't look the type at all. He owns a farm in Vermont somewhere and they interviewed him in his sugarhouse durring this past maple season. Just thought it was neat you never know who has the maple sickness!!! he said he already had 350 gallons pre-sold at the time of the interview. uses an RO too.

super sappy
08-19-2009, 07:46 AM
I think his name is Hank Kimball ( or maybe that was the name of the county agent on green acres) anyway. I am not sure how much of the work he actually does. The local D&G dealer spent most of last winter installing tubing and setting up the sugarhouse. I think that he stops by for some photos and and to watch and sign checks . My wife is a big fan of his magazine and tv shows, they film the Cooks Country program in Rupert Vt. I bet" Lwood "drives right by the house all the time . -SS

KenWP
08-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I will have to ask my Mom if she watches it and see if she knows who he is. To bad these guys don't let the rest of the world know that there is $100 bucks worth of labour in every gallon of syrup.

red maples
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I am a chef so I like his shows I've learned some good tips from his cooks on the show. but I have never looked as his magazine. Must be nice to have other people set-up your stuff but I like doing it so uummm maybe not so nice then.

Clan Delaney
08-19-2009, 11:07 PM
We are everywhere!

Lwood
10-04-2009, 07:58 AM
they film the Cooks Country program in Rupert Vt. I bet" Lwood "drives right by the house all the time . -SS

Yes they film in Rupert. They were there for 2 weeks in September. I drive by every day. They are filming on the porch quite often when I go by.

super sappy
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Just watched cooks country = they did a taste test of maple syrup and Americas test kitchen said Maple Grove of Vermont - the host of the show Chris Kimball picked MaClures of Canada . Funny thing is that if you stand on the front porch of the house where they film that series you can look at like 50,000 taps from all the neighbors . Every maple is tapped for the most part in that neighborhood . Too bad they didnt go over the hill and get some good stuff from L wood - Supersappy out

Lwood
12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
We can't have New York syrup beating out everyone else in the taste test now can we? lol

But seriously, Did they have any local syrup in the mix? I have not seen that episode, but it would have been nice if they had told the viewers to check out the local producers near them if they live in a syrup producing region.