PDA

View Full Version : custom labeling

tuckermtn
08-15-2009, 03:29 PM
looking for input on how many traders do their own custom labeling on jugs. What are the options - I have heard folks buying blank jugs and haveing a local screener put labels on- also know Bacon and the rest will do it also. someone mentioned shrink wraping a label on a blank jug also...

whats worked for you? any sense of cost per jug for quarts, pints and gallons?

thanks-

Eric

lpakiz
08-15-2009, 08:43 PM
You can get printers to design a logo and print them out for you-with adhesive backing on them. I think 100 per roll was like $21 and 200 was like 24 etc.
Look for a graphic design person that likes maple syrup.

KenWP
08-15-2009, 11:16 PM
I am thinking that I might get some kind of business card printed up instead of labels and attach them to the bottles and jugs and then I can also hand them out to people when I need to also. I meet a lot of people that for some reason want my phone number so that would kill two turkeys with one stone.
I just have to convince she who has to be listened to that we need to figure out some kind of name. Mines German and hers is French so I am trying to figure out how to mix them up a bit.

3rdgen.maple
08-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Ken get the business card stock from an office supply. They are perforated so you can run them through a home printer. Alot cheaper that way and they look as good as your imagination can come up with.

HobbitMannor
08-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Another option for labeling is to design something on you computer and use regular address labels to print them on. if you are good with the computer you could even get a picture on the labels.

maplehound
08-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I use the address labels for my plastic jugs and any glasss that I have generic labes for. All other glass bottles get a hanging tag that is made from business card stock that is folded in half and a hole punched in the top corner, then I use gold cord to attach thenm to the bottles. Many customers have saved the hanging tags and use them as my buisness card.

timbers
08-16-2009, 04:16 PM
We use a samsung colour laser and avery vinyl paper. It costs about $1 per 8 x11 sheet and depending on the bottle size we get 6-12 labels per sheet. This way we could custom design all our labels, one of our girls takes a bunch of pictures during the sugering season; say the dog in steam or adding wood. The labels kind of look like Jones soda labels . It works good for us and makes our bottles different. Ian

3rdgen.maple
08-16-2009, 05:57 PM
I got tired of not being able to clean up the plastic jugs and glass jars before I sold them. Evertime the water would ruin any label I tried. Even the steam in the sugarhouse would ruin a label. What I found at Staple's is a P-Touch labeling system made by brother. It is a label machine that includes software for your PC. Many label choices and they are weatherproof. I use the Black lables with Gold ink. It prints them and then laminates them with a sticky back. I love the thing. You can pick out the lable color and the ink color and just pop the cartridge in and you are good to go. I can wash the jugs under the sink without any damage to the labels.

johnallin
08-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Something I've done over here for the past three years is pretty basic but gives great waterproof results. I print the labels on plain paper with an ink jet printer - normally get 9 to a sheet. Lables are a picture of our woods with some print and the year of production.

The secret to keeping the ink from running when it gets wet is to spray the sheet with a can of clear laquer. One or two coats is all you need. It takes only a moment to dry and saturates the sheet so that it becomes water and smear proof. Labels are then put on bottles with a water prood glue stick.

brookledge
08-16-2009, 09:45 PM
check with the jug manufactuer that you are thinking of and ask them if they have any generic designs. Then they will be with perminate ink and the only thing you need to do is put a sticker with your name on the jug.
That is another option for you.
Keith

TapME
08-17-2009, 01:47 PM
tuckerkmtn, we have been giving the same issue some consideration and for this year we are going to just laser print a small pic with name and # on a gold or silver label and stick it on after the jars are full and clean. Time is a factor and this is what we are planing on doing. The thought did come to me to buy plan bottles and use a sand blaster to put the name in but that time thing came into play.

3rdgen.maple
08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
I dont mean to rob this thread but how do you sandblast glass bottles? I have been in a major search mode to get cusom etched glass bottles and the pricing is ridiculous. I did find a place that sells a chemical that you paint over a stencils then rinse off to get the same effect but not sure if that is a good path to take.

TapME
08-18-2009, 10:34 AM
3rdgen, I used that system when we did glass for a Church and it worked well. I believe that they call it acid etching. Just a lot of chemicals to look after for me to consider doing it. As for glass and a sand blaster it is just as fast way to dull the shiny glass, Its kinda a fast way that your windshield goes through over the life of the car except you are controlling what get dull.

KenWP
08-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Must be some chemical to acid etch glass since you store acids in glass most of the time anyways. Sandblasting would work but be slow. Glass bottles are cheap untill you do something extra to them. I got several hundred highball glasses etched with my Lodge symbol for a 100th aniv. and the etching was more then the glasses were.

Thompson's Tree Farm
08-18-2009, 06:31 PM
If I can remember all the way back to HS chemistry, floric acid can be used to etch glass.

3rdgen.maple
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Well guys thanks for the input on the glass etching. I finally found a place to get my bottles etched. Found them on the web and talked to the guy today and come to find out he does the glass painting and etching for the bottles that the big three sell. Got my artwork on its way and he is gonna get me pricing. Should be alot cheaper than the big three I expect since there is no middle man. I will let all know how it works out.

precision_eng
04-25-2010, 09:19 AM
If you guys are looking for custom labels, I make them on waterproof material, printed in full color and die cut to any size or shape you need. These do have the adhesive backing.

I also do laser etching on glass.

Mike

lpakiz
04-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Mike, What are prices like on, say, 200 or 500 labels-- approx 2 inches wide by 3 inches high--cut "oval" I have a design--just need it printed on a "peel and stick" roll or sheets.
Larry

wanting to get into it
04-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes, I would like to know prices on your labels too.