PDA

View Full Version : Pans on a barrel evaporator

Farmboy
08-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Will 2x6 pans fit on a barrel evaporator. I mite go that route. What pans did other people use.

C.Wilcox
08-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Farmboy,

Depends on the size barrel you use. I have a 250 gallon fuel oil drum that is 5 feet long and I'm going with a 2X4 pan. If you found a larger barrel you might be able to fit a 2X6 pan, but you have to remember that you need room for your chimney. To fit a 6 foot pan you'll probably have to vent it out the back of the drum instead of out the top as you typically see, but again, that all depends on the size of your barrel.

3rdgen.maple
08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Farmboy do you already have the pans? If so buy an arch they are not that expensive. I think by the time you have all the mods done to a barrel or oil tank you will have invested enough money to pay for half of the arch. I think I would do a little searching for an arch new or used, get some pricing and decide from there.

Gary R
08-14-2009, 06:17 AM
I made my flat pan, 2 X 4 1/2. Is your's a flat pan or seperate flue and syrup pan?

If yo have a flue pan I aggree with 3rd Gen. It might be hard to find an arch though. Second, I'd build an arch from scratch if I had material and money lying around. Third, I'd use the 275 gal. fuel oil tank. They are 5 feet long. There are guys on here that have taken the top part that is cut off and used it to extend the arch in the back. 10' long arch then! Or you could just fabricate a 1' extention on the end of the tank. Lots of ways to do a homemade rig:)

03weim
08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Farmboy I built my own evap from plans that Davey Jones had posted, you might want to do a search for his plans and make everything larger to fit your pan I boiled on a barrel with a pan and the evap we made last year was well worth investment

Farmboy
08-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't have pans yet. I measured my tank and it's only 5 feet long. But then I remembered my grandpa has an old tank so I can make a 2x6 or 2x8 if I want.

Does anyone no the author of maple producers manual so I can see if my local barns and noble can get it.
Thanks Farmboy

RileySugarbush
08-14-2009, 08:41 PM
I agree with 03weim. DavyJones plans are good. I built one similarly.

IMO, the only good thing about barrels is they are usually free, but they are free sheet metal that is in the wrong shape for what you want to do, and sheet metal is cheap. Straight flat pieces of sheet and angle steel can easily welded into something that fits well with pans and bricks.

KenWP
08-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Go to Barnes and Noble and ask for the North Americian Maple producers manual. They can find it by the name of the book also. That or IM Clan Delaney and ask him how to order it from Barnes and Noble I have this funny idea he knows how to do it really well.

vermaple
08-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Does anyone no the author of maple producers manual so I can see if my local barns and noble can get it.
Thanks Farmboy

Contact the Massachusetts Maple Producers Association, they should be able to help you.

Farmboy
08-15-2009, 06:08 PM
A guy in the next town over has a home made evaporater he says I can have it if I dig it out of his shed then put every thing back. It has either a flat pan with dividers or a flue pan. It was hard to see it through the stuff. He hasn't used it in 15 years.

KenWP
08-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Where do you guys find this stuff. Probbably helps you all speak the same language. I feel left out as I am sort of all by myself around here.

Farmboy
08-15-2009, 07:25 PM
I went with my dad when he went to give some one a price to cut down some trees. My dad asked the guy if he new the name of this person that has a home made evaporator and the guy said if you want an evaporater I can have his if i dig it out of his shed.
My dad and grandfather have known the guy for years.

Greg Morin
08-31-2009, 06:07 PM
If you can find a 330 gal oil tank they are 6' long

Cardigan99
08-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Farmboy, get in touch with a sheet metal shop and see what they can do for you. I had a stainless pan made for my barrel evaporator for a little over $300. There's a few pictures of on here somewhere.

Todd

buxtonboiler
09-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Farmboy- I just made an arch from a 275 gallon oil tank. The tank is 60"x 27".
I put 2x2 angle iron around the top for support and to take up some of the extra space. i am getting a 2x4 pan with a preheater and it will fit perfect according to Bill Mason, W.F. Mason on here. He is making my pan. I will post the plans and pics when I get it done. Also, I am bringing my stack out the back.