PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Sugar Shack

Farmboy
08-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Has any one built a mobile sugar shack. I'm thinking i'm going to go that route. Pictures and ideas would be great. And what size it is and the size of the evaporator in it. Thanks Farmboy

3rdgen.maple
08-07-2009, 12:52 AM
What is a mobile sugar shack? Is it a haywagon with walls and a roof?:lol:

Gary R
08-07-2009, 06:43 AM
It could be like the one I have. It is a job site trailer that I traded for some firewood. Lights, windows, music, couch and desk. I've used it for 2 years now, no problems. Smoke goes out the back wall and steam out the roof. I now have a head tank mounted on some steel poles off the tongue. I think the trailer is 8X14. I have an oil tank rig in it and could easily put a 2X6 in it. The great thing is I pull this next to my garage for the season. When I'm done I park it in the woods, out of the way. Taxes are just too high for me to justify building a real sugarshack.

Farmboy
08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
What is a mobile sugar shack? Is it a haywagon with walls and a roof?:lol:

Yes pretty much. Or you can rip apart an old camper and build off the frame.

3rdgen.maple
08-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I was just being a smart @&#. If that is what works for you guys go for it. Just have fun with the maple stuff. It is alot of work but for some reason we love it.

Farmboy
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Any body else have a portable sugar shack. Also what should I use for a floor in one if I have a wood fired arch. Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
08-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I used to run a repair shop out of a old welding shop that was sheet metal nailed down over a wood floor and it lasted 30 years before I got there. If your worried about it going up in flames then pour light weight cement over the floor or put down a layer of 1/2 tile backer and call it good I dare anyone to burn down the shack from starting the floor on fire with cement board on it. Most fires are from the flue stack out the roof.

Gary R
08-10-2009, 06:41 AM
I have a sheet of stainless under my entire arch. There is no heat down there though. Just an occasional hot coal that may fall out during firing.