PDA

View Full Version : Converting an Evaporater

Farmboy
08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I think I found an evaporator. It is a 2x6 and is oil fired. I think it was wood and converted to oil how can I tell if this was true and can it be converted
back. It is a leader. It isn't for sale but the farm closed down and my grand father knows one of the owners so some cash might make it for sale. Thanks Farmboy

Haynes Forest Products
08-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Is there a door opening that has been coverd up that the oil gun is mounted to. 99% of wood arches converted to oil still have the brick in the fire box. The word conver doesnt mean you cant put it back to wood burning. Alot of times people converted the arch to oil by filling the fire box with brick or sand and then bricking or putting fire blanket over the ash bin and grates.

Farmboy
08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
The oil gun is mounted to a piece of steel over were the doors should be if they converted it from wood to oil should I be able to convert it back.

Haynes Forest Products
08-06-2009, 11:40 PM
What are your abilities as far as doing the work? Did you look into the combustion chamber? Depends on what is left in the arch as far as the wood burning equipment is left in place. Grates, Brick You will need doors.

KenWP
08-07-2009, 06:44 AM
And check around and see if they stored the old doors when they converted. Farmers throw nothing away.

Farmboy
08-07-2009, 08:47 AM
The metal work is nothing my dad should be able to do it. I haven't looked in the fire box yet I could only loo at it through the windows. I doubt they threw out any of the parts.

briduhunt
08-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Farmboy I might be interested in buying the oil doors if you are converting back to wood. I have been mulling over the conversion over to oil as my spare time is getting more and more limited. Let me know.

Farmboy
08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Farmboy I might be interested in buying the oil doors if you are converting back to wood. I have been mulling over the conversion over to oil as my spare time is getting more and more limited. Let me know.

I don't even no if here selling it but if they do and I get it I will let you no and the oil gun and door will be for sale.