PDA

View Full Version : size evaporator

Tapmealot
08-04-2009, 05:58 PM
ok i have a question. how many taps would u say is the minimum to boil on a smallbrothers 3x8 woodfired that boils 65gph on average. i really want it but afraid i might be getting a 2x6. so ho many you think is the minmum of taps it will take to be able to boil on this?

3% Solution
08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Tapmealot,
Well I guess the first question is, "How much time do you want or have to boil?"
Let's figure for the 3x8 first.
Lets just say you have 200 taps and your sap yeild on the average is 180 gallons.
You've got about 3 hours of time involved, just get started and you have to shut down.
Now double everything, 400 taps, 360 gallons, 6 hours involved.
Let's figure the 2x6, ahhh you can do that!!
It's pretty much dependent on what you have for time.
Also, think about expansion in the future, available $$$$
Hope this helps.

Dave

3rdgen.maple
08-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Tapmealot that is a question only you can answer. Like already said it all depends on the amount of time you have. You can always hold sap for a longer boil time with a 3x8. Also the 3x8 gives you more room for expansion in the future. I have a 2x6 Im gonna push 600 taps on and I can do it fairly easy as I have the time and I have a father who boils if I have to work. But like I said I have the time. That is one of the perks of owning your own business I guess. But I am already planning on getting a 3x8 in 2011. I want to add 200 taps annually till I,m worn out so the 2x6 is being outgrown fast. Especially considering I just got it last season. Why don't you give us a tap count and what the possibilities of tap expansion would be in the future. Also are you gonna run buckets or vacume cause there is a big sap volume difference there as well.