PDA

View Full Version : chimney cap

sticky mess
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
I am putting up a new metal chimney, for our evaporator. What have others used for a cap, how long have you used it and did it stand up well for you? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Fred Henderson
07-27-2009, 07:51 PM
I made mine out of SS. Totally, hinges and all hardware. Pull line is even SS wire. It has been in use now for 10 years.

brookledge
07-27-2009, 08:10 PM
I used a stainless one that closes with a nylon coated cable I connected. It is balance just right so that when I pull it it closes and when I pull ut again it opens. I have also seen the type that goes over the top of the stack like a big pointed hat but have no expierence with it
Keith

vermaple
07-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I have a cap that I bought from Leader over 20 years ago made of galvanized steel with painted frame and have had no problems with it. I have to replace my outside stack this year after 27 years and will buy stainless because the galvanized is not what it was in 1981. I think I will get a new stainless pan for the cover so I should never need to go on the roof again for that.

sticky mess
07-28-2009, 05:53 AM
I guess that is what I am questioning, should I get one that hinges or just a cap like a pointed hat? Do they burn out quickly if they are not hinged?

vermaple
07-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I guess that is what I am questioning, should I get one that hinges or just a cap like a pointed hat? Do they burn out quickly if they are not hinged?

Top Hat style covers are more expensive than hinged covers but burnout should not be a problem. I would recommend stainless in either case.

Fred Henderson
07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I found that the cooly hat (pointed) style does not afford a good draft. One came with mine with 16" x 12"dia of SS stack attached. I have never uesd it and it sits in storage.