PDA

View Full Version : tap density numbers

firetech
07-27-2009, 11:34 AM
How many taps are you looking for per acer or wood lot to make it worth the time and investment on a new wood lot? I'm looking at a wood lot about a 1 1/2 miles from the house,it's along the river so I'm going to guess that it's a mix of reds and sugars. It was logged off in the late 70s and nothing else has been done here. It was a suger bush before the logging was done. The wood lot is over a 1/2 mile long easy and maybe longer but on another propety owners land. It has road access (my truck can stay on the county road and be pumped to +/- 100ft)and electric power close by at another out building. Looking for a complete line and vacum set-up nothing half willy about this setup. How long do I need to tap this lot to break even on my investment. Ya I know all the variables. Do I need to hire a forrester to help me with the density count? Thanks for your thoughts.

maplecrest
07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
when i walk in a woods to do a count, i walk the outside first and get a feel for the boundries. then walk a mental grid and do a count. as said in other posts 80 taps to the acre is the norm. my woods avg. 100 tpa.the last woods i counted i took my son and we walked just ib sight of each other counting went much faster. one other note i only count trees not the possible number of taps per tree.

220 maple
07-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Firetech,
I'm in the same process as you, I have been counting trees and possible taps for the last month, I feel I can't do enough research. You most likely feel the same way about this new wood lot? Maybe the info my equipment dealer told me will make you feel better about a possible investment. Last fall he set up a tubing system for a syrupmaker in his home county. He built it the way Leader said it needed to be built for maximum production. 6700 taps, they averaged 16 gallons of sap to the taphole. Do the math on that. 107200 gallons of sweetwater. Divide by 50 just for fun, I bet the number probably was 45 or lower since this was the first year that these trees had ever been tapped. Answer 2144 gallons of liquid gold. Times 11 pounds per gallon (23584) Times 2.50 per pound (commercial price at the time) $58960 dollars.
I'm willing to bet that number is in the 60s because of sugar content and price per pound. I was told it paid for his investment the first year. I feel right now is the time to get in big or quit. I had to deliver syrup and candy this past friday and the store owner suggested I expand because Maple Syrup is not a fad it's a trend.

Mark 220 Maple