PDA

View Full Version : custom bottles

3rdgen.maple
07-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Does anybody know where I could get glass bottles etched. I am looking to get some etched with a salmon on them before all the salmon fisherman arrive in october. Or is their a source for fish shaped glass jars.

220 maple
07-24-2009, 12:13 AM
3rdgen Maple
I have a friend who had his camp name etched on the 250ml glass leaf bottles. Very attractive, I don't see him very often, if I run into him I'll asked where he got the etching done.

Mark 220 Maple

vermaple
07-24-2009, 12:31 AM
3rdgen
Contact Brian at U Name It Engraving.

http://www.unameitengraving.com

vermaple

3rdgen.maple
08-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Okay back to square one. Got the final pricing to get my bottles etched. It is such a high cost I was dumbfounded. It is about 6 bucks apeice including the bottle. So a 8oz glass bottle at 6 bucks before I put syrup in it is crazy. So I did some more searching and I am going to buy the darn equipment to do it myself. It would cost me less money to buy the glass from leader buy the etching equipment than it will to do the first batch at that price. So guys I guess I have a new hobby to go along with all the others. Nice thing is the misses says It looks like fun and she wans to do it. I showed her the videos I found on it and she says it is something she would enjoy doing.

KenWP
08-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I would say the labour is what kills the project when paying somebody else. Unless they made enough to warrent getting them made in some 3rd world country at 30 cents a hour wages.

Haynes Forest Products
08-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Go to ebay and type in GLASS ETCHING KITS they have two differant types the small sand blaster sets or the chemical etching. For $20.00 your on your way. Just cork the opening before you start and rinse before you bottle.

Haynes Forest Products
08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
The other thing you can do if you really want to get into it go to ebay VINYL CUTTERS get the hobby vinyl cutter and make your own patterns and you stick the stencil on the bottle and airbrush the pattern, name and all and remove and reuse a few times. Sign companys can make up sheets with differant sizes and if you get the sheet made you can use both stencils and doubble the output.

3rdgen.maple
08-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys for the thoughts. Owning a print industry service company I have a few accounts with sign shops and could get vinyl done for nothing. I just am not a big fan of the lack of detail I would get.. Biggest problem being that it does not take curves very well without alot of fuss to get wrinkles out. As far as the etching goes I am ordering some small scale equipment to do it. It is a semi automated setup and the biggest time restraint is just making the screens. Which is about 2 minutes. One screen will last for 100 etchings and it only takes 30 seconds to etch the glass. So that means the misses can etch 120 of them in an hour. By my figures cost to etch including the bottles are 2.66 cents for the first year after that the thing is payed for and the cost is about 13 cents plus the bottle and the misses free labor. It is a no brainer in my book.

Sorry Hayes just reread your post and relized you were talking about using the vinyl for the stencil. Im sure that would work as well just wonder how much detail I could get out of it. Ohh well she who must be obeyed is excited and there is no turning back now.

gmcooper
08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
3rdgen
From our exp. it will take some practice to get the results your looking for and consistency you need. Could end up being fun but likely to be frustrating to begin with. If your syrup glass is curved practice on curved glass as it is more difficult than on flat plate. Listened to my wife do a bunch of giftware earlier this summer.
Good luck

DanE.
12-16-2009, 06:51 PM
3rdgen, Did you start etching any bottles yet. I'm curious who those small etching kits work. Dane

3rdgen.maple
12-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Not yet Dan I have been to busy at work and remodeling the dining room for the christmas party that after I tore the house apart I was informed of 27 people coming over on the 26. Work, sheetrock, work ,mud, work, make custom moulding ahhh you get it. Anyways I brought it to my warehouse in syracuse and was gonna set it up and have one of my employees give it a whirl but I have him working pretty hard right now so Hopefully sometime in January. The boss of the house seemed to lose interest in it or just got tired of waiting for me so that is why it went there. Everyday I tell myself I gonna get it setup but something gets in the way. Neat thing is that I can have nameplates plaques etc etched and want to promote it for some of the printshops I service for their customers. Just another brainiac idea to make money. I will let you know.