PDA

View Full Version : New woods

Woody
07-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Finally I was able to find a new woods today at about 20 acres of trees and I think the guy is going to contract with me so I'll have the 'proof of resources' they want for a loan. Things are looking up after a week of several guys not wanting anyone on thier land.
I'm writing the lease and sort of using parts of the example out of the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual and I'm wondering what other Wisconsin guys are paying per tap. I was thinking .40 a hole plus a gallon of syrup in a bulk container for every hundred taps but I was told by several guys that's way too much and will drive up regional lease prices and rental agreements. Most tree owners in this part of the state don't expect anything but a little of the finished product but that can't go on forever. At some point leasing and renting are going to be the norm I'd guess.
Anyway - any of you Wisconsin guys have info. on lease payment arrangements in your area of the state?

thanks,

3rdgen.maple
07-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Im not from Wisconsin but if you do a search on your question you will find many many post talking about renting trees and the price people are paying per tap. And as you can guess there are as many answers as there were post. It is what fits your requirements and pleases the landowner. I would make darn sure that you are getting at a minimal 75% finished product from the lease. It is your time, your investment and your labor that is putting all the effort in. What the landowner gets for the tap count is a bonus that he otherwise would not be getting. That is my input anyways. Also are you planning on putting in vacume or are you running buckets. There is alot of sap volume difference between the two that could make a price a good deal or a great deal for you.

dschultz
07-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Woody,That's way to much for the landowner. The woods I tap I'm doing it so the landowner can get a tax break. They save $20 an acre a year on their taxes and that's good enough for them.But I still give them syrup to let them know I appreciate them letting me tap their tree's.when I give them syrup it come's out to .25 a tree not tap,which comes out to 50 tree's per quart of syrup.
You'll have to find out from the landowner what they want as far as payment money or syrup.And if they don't want it all in syrup take what syrup they want and subtract it from the payment and give them the rest in cash.

syrupkid
07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
i tap about 150 trees on my nieghbors land and for rent i give him a half gallon of the first batch of syrup fresh out of the filter press

Joel

PerryW
07-20-2009, 07:21 PM
I give one gallon of syrup to the landowner for every 60-80 taps.

TapME
07-20-2009, 10:18 PM
I do what PerryW does. They get syrup 1 gallon for a 100 taps or the equivalent in money. Never had a landowner take money yet. If they run out during the year I cut them a deal on the next syrup. just my 1/2 cent.

Parker
07-22-2009, 04:26 AM
If you really sit down and figure out what it costs you to make syrup and what you need to cover your initial investment (tubing-tanks-equipment)+your yearly costs (fuel-labor) and TIME,,,its easy to pay WAY TOO MUCH!!! And get yourself in a situation where you lose money every year...espically if your borrowing $ to get going....my 2 cents

Woody
07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Found out this 20 acre woods I got is an old sugar bush that hasn't been tapped in nearly 50 years. The shack burned down about 40 years ago. Interesting history to think about....Anyway - I can't see hardly any old tap marks on the trees but they are probably there. How do you avoid tapping where an old hole was or are they buried deep enough in new growth not to matter? Still just go by the color of the wood?

thanks,

TapME
07-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Woody, as I figure it a quarter inch a year for 50 years, I wouldn't worry about taping it's all new growth. And buy the way they should give you more sap because it's been so long since they were tapped. Have fun with the new woods Woody.

Parker
07-24-2009, 05:51 PM
If it been 40 years since they tapped then you probably wont get deep enough into the trees to hit an old tap hole,,thats just a guess,,,wacth the color,,,and you should be all set,,,good luck with the new woods

syrupkid
07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
where are you in wisconsin woody

Woody
07-25-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm over in Polk County.