PDA

View Full Version : Grate height?

John Burton
01-18-2005, 04:06 PM
I recently bought my used 2x6 evaporator.I noticed that the arch has been modified so that the grates sit below the draft door.The draft door has been bricked in,with a blower built into the arch stand.my question is has anyone ever seen this before?If so what are the advantages or disadvantagesof doing this? thanks

gmcooper
01-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Wow, sounds like some one got really creative on that Patriot! What they were doing is increasing the size of the fire box. With a bigger box you get more heat, thus you boil faster. I would question whether that lower section of the fire box (used to be ash pit) is designed for that kind of heat. Why did seller get rid of it would be a good question. I would bet that there is some evidence of warpage from heats stress in the syrup pan. It may not effect the pan enough to cause a problem.
Good Luck

DirtPoor
01-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Alot of the older arches , Leader, Grimm, Small Bros. had very small fireboxes , as long as the tin has been bricked over it should be fine .

Where there hell is Washington New Hampshire ??? Do you mean Mt. Washington??

John Burton
01-18-2005, 09:08 PM
washington nh is in the monadnock region (south west), half way between keene and concord the lower section has been completely bricked in. i am going to test boil on sat. if i get the time