PDA

View Full Version : pounds per acre

Acer
07-14-2009, 07:59 AM
I keep hearing about so many gallons per tap, but that seems a funny productivity measure due to the variability of what gets tapped.

Anyone have a pounds/acre production estimate for a 100% red stand?

Think I'm going Quebec style and if the drill doesn't come out the other side i'll put a tap in it.

trees are 4" to 20" woods trees.

Dean

maplecrest
07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
if you go by 11 pounds to the gallon. 5.5lbs would be .5 gals per tap. if 80 taps to the acre.would be 440 lbs to the acre. or a 40 gallon drum.

KenWP
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Quebec style. That would be 13 lbs per gallon. I tapped two small trees and they both gave me a decent amount of sap and they were close to the house.

brookledge
07-14-2009, 08:55 PM
The problem with pounds per acre is it is so inconsistant. If you had one tap on your property that was an acre then you might make 3 lbs per acre. In my area forest land is very diversified so you never have a consistant #.
That would also make it dificult to compare your operation to others to see how well you do.
That is why comparing each other to the number of gallons per tap is a consistant comparison.
When you produce other crops like corn, you can compare lbs. per acre because that is the only crop on that land. So if the farmer next to you makes 500 lbs. per acre more than you, you are going to find out why.
That just doesn't happen in the maple industry. I know you asked about a 100% red stand but even that depends so much on the size of the trees and the management of the bush.
Keith