PDA

View Full Version : flat filter vs cone filter

wanting to get into it
07-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Would like some input on flat filter vs cone filter. Which is the best and why? I am starting up on my own this year and need to buy a filter/ canner unit. Just not sure which way to go. Thanks for the help.

brookledge
07-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Most canning units like 12X20 or 16X24 come with a tray that will hold the flat filters. as for cone style you need a tall cylinder shape container to hold it an keep it out of the syrup. I used to use a cone filter before I got a press. My vote would be to go with a 12X 20 or 16X24 and use flat filters
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
07-12-2009, 01:56 AM
It all comes down to surface size and cone filters are small in the surface area and are hard to work with when they stop filtering. I would use a flat filter over the finisher. You can keep it hot and steam from below will help it working.

3% Solution
07-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Wanting,
Two years ago we went from cone filters to flat and it is definately a step up.
They are great, simple love what they do for us.
Here's the combination we have; home design filter/canner with water jacket, flat filters and just a dash of filter aid.
Works pretty good for us.
So yup, I cast my vote for the flat side of things.

Dave

vermaple
07-12-2009, 08:54 AM
My family always used cone filters as did I until I bought a filter press. At about the same time I bought a 16 x24 canning tank and started using the flat filter for same amounts of syrup that I didn't want to set up the filter press for. I might go back to flat filters, but I'd never go back to cone filters.

PerryW
07-12-2009, 12:04 PM
The cone filter canners are much taller and require more vertical space than the 12x20. With my 12x20 flat fliter canner, I can slide it right under the drawoff valve of the evaporator and fill the 5-gallon drums directly.

But I think the cone filters are also more suitable for smaller evaporators like a 2x4 or smaller.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-12-2009, 02:01 PM
WF Mason who is a member on here makes nice units and probably well below the cost of anyone else. Shoot him a PM.

twobears1224
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
how deep is the rack that holds a flat filter?? anybody got pic,s of one?? we always used cone filters.

delbert

3% Solution
07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Twobears,
It's about 2.5" deep.
Folded and sewed the paper pre-filters so they fit right into the rack.

Dave

wanting to get into it
07-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the input!! Flat filter canning unit it will be. Can't wait to get started. Oh wait, my evaporator hasn't even been delivered yet. :)

PerryW
07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
here's a pic of mine. It is a 12 x 20 and will hold 10 gallons when filled to the brim.:

http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=656&d=1238533217

KenWP
07-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Perry what does that actual frame have for holes in it. I was thinking I have this smaller SS gizmo thats made for BBQ shrimp and smaller veggies that I never use that has lots of holes in the bottom and wonder if that would work for a flat filter. It is 8x12 so would hold about a gallon and a half of syrup. I find the cone filter to be slower then good syrup to use.
I am also in the process of makeing a tank that a cone filter fits inside of to filter with that hopefully the heat of the syrup will keep it from gelling. Especially since my sugar shack hasn't got much for walls and cools fast after I pour it and can move it inside after wards.
I can see people shaking there head at the goofy Canuck.

3% Solution
07-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey "Goofy Canuck",
You've got a maple producers license, so that means whatever works for you is just great!!!!
We were in a plastic sugarhouse for 4 years before we got into a permanent building, it worked for us. Of course this works a lot better now!!!!
I would't hesitate a bit to use that shrimp/veggie thing if it would work for you.
Our filter/canner holds about 6-7 galons.
Never gathered enough sap to get more than 5 gallons in it.

Dave

PerryW
07-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Ken,

I think they are 1/4" holes.

Here's a pic:

http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=631&d=1237987926

twobears1224
07-15-2009, 10:45 AM
PERRY:thanks for the pictures.on the filters/canners with waterjackets is it just water they use in them?? and i take it they use a electric water heater element to heat the water?? i think if i dig around enough i,ll find everything i need to build my own flat fiter.

delbert

PerryW
07-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't use a steam jacket or heater.

for bottling syrup, I use two of the 12 x 20 filter/canners; one with a rack and one without.

I dump 5-10 gallons in the (one without the rack) and heat it up (and standardize density) to just under 200 deg, then open the valve and refilter it into the other unit.

I wrap a double layer of towels around the lower unit to keep the heat in and keep bottling until the dial thermometer on the unit drops below 185.

3% Solution
07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Two Bears,
What we had built is basically a 12"x12"x12" stainless steel box inside another stainless steel box that is 16"x16"x14".
There is a rack that sets in the top of the inside box, which holds the filters.
There are two brass nipples, one for the thermometer and one for the faucet, which goes from the outside to the inside of the inner box.
Got a cover and all is good.
This unit sits on a Cabella's single camp stove (propane).
The space on the sides and underneth (2") is filled with water, which is heated.
So the water heats the syrup, thus the syrup never gets burned inside the canner.
I must say it works nice!
Checked it out the other day and this unit holds 6 gallons.
If you want pictures, send me a PM with your email address, and I will send some to you.

Dave