PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Maple Cream Machine

Dropflue
01-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Has anyone built a homemade maple cream machine? A producer at this year's NY Maple Conference had one he made from an old washing machine motor & gearbox. It was about 30 yrs old. I was looking on the internet, but the syle gearbox he has is really outdated and hard to find. I haven't called any appliance repair shops yet to see if they have any spare parts, but like I said, that style gearbox is pretty old. So does anyone have plans they would like to share on building a cream machine? :?

Thanks,
Dropflue
2x6 Gas Fired D&G Dropflue

pegjam
01-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Most of the ones I see around here were made from a milktank agitor motor. The basic idea here is they run slow enough to make cream, and don't need a gearbox at all. The only hitch is they run on dc current. I already have a cream machine, and I also have a milktank motor if your interested. It worked when it was removed, and has been on the tank under cover since I bought it, so it should still work. I don't have anyway of testing it, though. Let me know if your interested.

Dropflue
01-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Pegjam,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure about running on DC current. I may use a 1725 rpm motor with a belt and large pulley to reduce the rpms to about 70 or 60. I saw a setup like this in the old syrup producers manual from the 1950's.

Thanks Again,
Dropflue
2x6 Gas Fired D& G Dropflue