PDA

View Full Version : Danno

3rdgen.maple
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey Danno you are you on 370 Big sign out front that says MapleGrove on it?

danno
09-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Nope, not me. I'm 'bout a 1/2 mile south of the thruway in Jordan with a NY Maple Sold Here sign out front. But spend all my non-mapling time in your backyard. You fish the river at all for kings or steel?

3rdgen.maple
09-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Do I fish for kings or steel? Why else would I live on the banks of the river:)
Steelhead is my favorite though. The salmon run this year started with a bang on the 4 of september and has gone downhill ever since. I think the river needs a couple more weeks before it is gonna get better. Water to low and to warm. If you want my opinion it is gonna be a fast and furious salmon season when it gets here.

KenWP
09-18-2009, 05:55 AM
There is supposed to be salmon here in the rivers also but with no one to talk to I have no idea how to fish for them. I was lucky enough to go the BC a few years ago and fish for 3 days. Was a experience with all the stupid seals ans whales and sharks.

3rdgen.maple
09-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Ken once the salmon are in the river to spawn they do not feed. So fishing for them can sometimes be quite crude in my opinion. They at times will out of aggression wack at the bait to protect the female that is sitting on her redds. It is somewhat a matter of luck to actually hook one in the mouth and most are pretty much snagged. But using the word snag is unsportsmanlike here so they say foul hooked. But no matter how you look at it they are snagged. You can land a salmon at times with more jewlery on it than walmart carries. Law here is it has to be hooked in the mouth ( gill plate forward) to be legally caught and be able to keep. And if it was not for all the fisherman collecting fines for illegaly caught salmon I think license fee's in NY would pretty expensive. It is one of the few things on this planet that the outlaw actually helps the economy.

danno
09-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I hear there was a great push of coho in the lower river yesterday - I've got my gear in the truck and thinking of coming up after lunch today ...

3rdgen.maple
09-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Don't know about the great push of coho cause I have not seen them. The fishing is getting better as we speak. Water temp down about 10 degrees and more salmon moving in. A few browns also are in. Water levels have been low as well. Good news is not many fisherman around especially during the week. But now that I said that lookout. One more week I think it will be prime fishing.

danno
09-25-2009, 04:13 PM
I did make it up yesterday afternoon - after the great reports I had heard, was a bit dissapointed. Fished 2A, Ellis and lower fly - must have been close to your house I'd imagine. You are right - it is nice with the low crowds, but could of used a few more fish in the river.

Was planning on fishing from sun up till about 8 this morning as I had to be at a work meeting in Syracuse at 9, but had a few too many toddies last night.