PDA

View Full Version : Half Pint

Greenthumb
06-24-2009, 08:06 AM
What is the best most efficient set up /changes you have seen for a half pint? I am trying to decide if I should move to a 2x6 drop or raised or sink more money into our half pint with some modifications and get a few more gph out of it. Maybe there will be a cash for clunker bill introduced and I can trade it in for a bigger more efficient evaporator. Any pics would be great

3rdgen.maple
06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Greenthumb first thing first how many taps are you looking at. If you are already outgrowing the halfpint Save the money and get the 2x6.

Greenthumb
06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I could max out at 150 taps+- more if i go exploring and get brave enough to ask some land owners for road side taps

Mac
06-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Greenthumb
I had about that many taps last year on a 2 x 3 flat pan, pre heater, homemade forced draft, 2yr old dry wood, I made 17 1/2 gallons and gave away 140 gallons of sap, and I was happy to see it go! I was real busy. I upgraded to a 20 x 66 Maple pro/Dallarie raised flu. Which should cut my boiling time in half or more. I knew my amount of taps could quickly put me in over my head..... and i was right...I think with that many taps you'll want a bigger rig.... or another 1/2 pint :)