PDA

View Full Version : Novis with new idea

BOBou812
06-23-2009, 06:40 AM
I know that sounds dangerious. Even looks bad in print, however i have a few questions. In northeast Ohio I have a good size wood lot from which I can set some taps, it is about 25 miles from my home and I work on the road. I will be able to empty buckets about every four days. This is my idea tell me if it will work or if it needs tweeked a little this is a hobbie opperation. I would like to use tubing taps and a short run of 2-3 ft of tubing to a five gallon bucket and collect every four days. Will the buckets run over, freeze, spoil or is there a better plan. I am looking to make 5-10 gallons of finnished product.

KenWP
06-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Not a really new idea but works. You will find guys on here that have short runs into 5 gallon pails and into barrels and even tanks that only have time to boil weekly and such. If the sap freezes its actually a good thing as it keeps it and the new sap pouring into the container fresh as it keeps better colder the better.

3rdgen.maple
06-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Coming from 3 generations of experience Bad idea. If the sap freezes in buckets hard enough which eventually it will it will bust the buckets apart and render them useless. I have seen this countless times. You need to empty them on a regular basis if the temps get well below freezing at night.

Haynes Forest Products
06-23-2009, 03:44 PM
3rdGen is right about the bucket splitting ice. The entire bucket will end up freezing and the last to freeze is the very middle of the ice cube splitting it. Plus what happend is if the bucket fills up and then gets a layer of frozen sap on the top the tubing will freeze and then the tree thaws sap runs cant flow into the frozen bucket and then the tube and tap freeze and pop out of tree.

KenWP
06-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Okay whats the solution to the problem then. Has to be a way to do it somehow. Unless he can find a sucker that wants to gater for him once in a while.

red maples
06-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I have used 5 gallon water bottles they work great. Poland spring to be exact... what I did was cut a 1/2 liter poland spring bottle in inhalf and stick the tubing through the drink end put a little electrical tape around the tubing if you want to hold it in place and it keeps out the rain and if it fits tight enough the bugs too. they have frozen solid on me but never cracked or split.

petersp22
06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I use buckets and sometimes they freeze pretty hard but I've never had one split. I've only been doing this a few years though.

Buckeye mapler
10-09-2009, 11:48 PM
well lets face it, it isnt totally out of the way, and yes buckets could split, but the main thing is that sap can grow way to much bacteria if it sits to long. the goal should be to collect asap. but some of us collect and store for a few days and then boil. that is the same thing, right?

TapME
10-10-2009, 07:36 AM
812; do what works for you and then fix the problems if there are any. Have a great time sugaring.