PDA

View Full Version : Sap Transfer Pumps?

Dennis H.
06-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I am at the stage to get a Transfer pump for sap and I am not sure which one to get.

The 2 that I am looking at are from Tractor Supply.

See if I can add a link to them here.

The 2 cycle one that I was looking at is here:
2 Cycle Pump (http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_48634_-1______14345%7C14379%7C14382%7C48634?listingPage=t rue&Special=false)

The Pacer pump that I was looking at is here:
Pacer Pump (http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_28372_-1______14345%7C14379%7C14382%7C28372?listingPage=t rue&Special=false)

I would be using it to pull the sap up from a collection tank that might be no more than 15' below the level of the pump. The other tanks will be at the same level or just above the pump level.
I would then also use it to empty my collecting tank on the trailer to push the sap up to a hoding tank with a max head height of about 20'.

If any one has any experience with either of these pumps and would like to share them with me that would be great and if anyone else has any helpful info that would be great also.

dschultz
06-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I use the pacer pump to transfer sap from one tank to another. It does 300 hundred gallons in just a few minutes.As far as pulling sap up 15' it should work as long as the pump is primed.

Haynes Forest Products
06-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I have the pacer pump and it has always started first pull with choke on. I put a strainer basket on mine and it was nice because it caught all the snots, sticks and leaves from the tank and lines. I got mine from a pond supply and it screwed right onto the threaded pump intake side. It held sap so I didnt have to prime the pump everytime. I only had a problem this year with my hose getting pin holes in it from dragging down the road and age. One little hole and it doesnt like to keep its prime. The Pacer is easy to drain with 2 plugs and its winterized.

brookledge
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
not that there is anything wrong with the pacer, but if you only have a 150 or so taps you are probably better off with a smaller pump. If you were going to be pumping out tanks bigger than say 400 then you would definately be better off with the bigger one
Keith

Dennis H.
06-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Thats guys for the info, I am still looking just trying to decide whic one.

Amber Gold
06-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I bought the 2-stroke last season and it worked great. For the price you can't beat it and it's very light. Just make sure your helper drains it when they're done using. One night it didn't get drained and the sap inside froze. It still works fine though. I think I just need to pull the pump cover off and use form-a-gasket and it'll be fine...just haven't gotten around to it. I'd stay away from the Pacer. The 2-stroke will pump plenty fast enough for what you want and it gives you time to check your tanks, releaser, and vac. levels as it's pumping.

Thats guys for the info, I am still looking just trying to decide whic one.

Sugarmaker
06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Different method and equipment would be to look at Rule brand 12 volt bilge pumps ( check on line). They work great for us. Quiet and quick. Recommend in the 3000 gph range.

Randy Brutkoski
06-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I bought the 1 inch mitsubishy pump from tractor supply, and it pumps 800 feet up hill to my truck. The tank is about 25 to 30 feet lower than my truck. The dang hill just decided to run the wrong way. But it does take about 35 to 40 minuites to fill the 325 gallon tank in my truck. but it works.

vermaple
06-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Check out the Tanaka water pump, a 1" gas pump that is dependable and tough. It's rated at about 30+ GPM and max discharge of 114 ft. I've used them for years and they last years. They cost more than the ones from Northern Tool or TSC but I think worth the money. Shop around though, there is a very very wide range in price.

http://tanakapowerequipment.com

sapman
06-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Echo is another good one. Mine has always worked great, with proper maintenance, and not so proper, too! A dealer near me switched from Tanaka to Echo just because of a little lower price, but similar quality. As an aside, I talked to a local dealer yesterday who told me Echo uses A-rated motors in all their equipment, so no cheaper line like many companies do these days. I think I'll try one of their chainsaws for my next one.

Tim

Dennis H.
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks everyone, I was leaning towards the lightweight 2 cycle pump myself but wasn't sure it would do what I was wanting it to do.

I like the fact that it is very light weight.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I have 2 Tanaka 1" pumps and they work great. One is 7 years old and the other is 3 years old and never had the first problem and still on the original spark plugs.

Brent
08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
we have 2 x 35 gallon tanks on the back of our gator. We used to lose a lot of sap pouring from the collection buckets into those tanks ... especially my wife who is only 5'2".

This year we put a 5 gallon pail on the passenger floor of the gator and put a Rule 2000 bilge pump in it to transfer up to the bigger tanks. No more spillage. It never drained the battery on the Gator and we almost never waited for it. Pour in one, turn around, pick up the next pail and start pouring.

Simple, clean, no gas, no oil, no noise. Luv it.