PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Ash Borer in NY

Gary R
06-20-2009, 06:56 AM
EAB has been confirmed in NY. I think we have it in about 6 counties. Hope you guys can see or open this file.

3rdgen.maple
06-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Gee it took them this long to relize the EAB has been in this state for quite a few years. I have heard for several years they where coming from the western part of the state heading east. When they hit rochester they devoured the ash trees in a hurry. It is pretty typical of the politics in this state to take years to come to this conclusion.

caseyssugarshack93
06-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Theres like a trap or somthing hanging in a tree for that on a road about 3 minutes away from me, i didnt know what it was but now i doo

Thompson's Tree Farm
06-20-2009, 05:53 PM
There are traps throughout Northern New York from a line from Oswego to Platsburg. Everything north of that has been gridded and there is a trap about every 1 and 1/2 miles (except in areas where there are no ash). Emerald ash borer was confirmed in Southeast Ontario and Western Quebec last Fall so they are anticipating it will be coming at us from the north as well as the west. Traps look kind of like there is a purple kite caught in a tree.

3rdgen.maple
06-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I drove to Detroit Michigan last week and starting around Pa. and all through Ohio along I90 there was the traps. That is a good description cause they do look like purple kites stuck in a tree.

southdevonbeef
06-22-2009, 11:17 AM
How long until we see the Asian Long Horned Beetle in upstate New York? Thats what scares me.

KenWP
06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
We have a few tent caterpillars showing up here this year. Hopefully they die off or something. I have enough trouble with trees now. Have no idea if the emerald things are around here yet or not.