PDA

View Full Version : syrup pan sections?

red maples
06-17-2009, 03:42 PM
is it better to have more sections in the syrup pan or less or no difference? for example I see some front pans on say a 2x6 with 3 sections and some with 2 sections on my phaneuf it has 2 sections. (mine is new to me haven't used it yet) Does it effect the syrup quality or can it make it darker because it is mixing with the sap coming from the back pan? Just curious.

sapman
06-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I would think the extra divider is better because it prevents as much mixing, like you say, but not only with the back pan but within the front. Seems easier to keep a correct flow going, if you know what I mean.

Tim

Haynes Forest Products
06-17-2009, 09:09 PM
On my 3x10 I have 2 18x36 syrup pans that have only 2 sections each for a total of 4 sections..........now it works great and 99.9% I end up with lite syrup I think any more than that would cause syrup to not flow as quickly as you need it during drawoffs. When you find that you were asleep at the valve and your drawing 3 point over syrup and things are SLOWWWWWWWWWW every second counts. NOW that could be me

red maples
06-18-2009, 06:15 AM
that makes good sense. I guess as the syrup gets thicker the thinner syrup will just push the thicker through and there won't be really that much of mix anyway.