PDA

View Full Version : Max Flue Pans

MrBig892
06-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Just wondering how many of you have the newer Leader Max flue pans and your opinions on them? Are they really worth all the extra money, or more of a novelty?
I've ordered a new 2x8 with a 6 foot max pan and two foot syrup pan, with airtight wood fired arch but may change it to a 5 foot with 3 foot syrup pan instead because it might be a bit touchy to operate with RO'd sap.
Also had a couple guys telling me to definately go with oil fire instead. But I sell firewood and have a constant supply, although oil would be nice and simple.
Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
Thanks!

brookledge
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Are you going with raised flues? If not then you would be better off going with a 5 and 3. Less chances to hit and damage drop flues when loading wood.
As far as oil vs wood with the max pan the only thing that I heard was if you are using wood it is recommended that it be an inferno arch and not a conventional one. The max pan needs high efficiency to get the most potential from it.
So you are planning on an inferno arch so I'd say you are alright
Keith

MrBig892
06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Am going with the combo raised/dropped. Felt this gave the flues better exposure to the flames.

brookledge
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Yea
I realized that after I submitted it that it has short drop flues with it.
Maybe you should ask leader if they recommend a six foot flue pan or is there too much risk for damage from loading wood.
Keith

mapleack
06-16-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't have any personal experience with them, but have heard some complaints about them not meeting the hype. I'm sure though that there is some truth to them needing an airtight arch to be supplied with enough btu's to meet the specs. Perhaps its better to put the extra money toward a bigger RO instead of into the pan.

DS Maple
06-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I talked with some people who bought a brand new leader oil fired arch with the Max pan and new high efficiency SteamAway and they seemed to be impressed so far. With RO'd sap they were able to make 30 gallons of syrup per hour. This was same amount they did with the old 5x16, but the new arch (a 4x14 I believe) burned half the oil.

sapman
06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
I think my perfect evaporator would be a Force 5 arch from Lapierre, with Max-flue pan and enhanced Steamaway. That said, I sure like my oil-burner for ease of use and not having to cut extra wood.

Tim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-20-2009, 06:48 AM
On a 2x8 max flue pan, they normally make it 2x6 raised or 2x5 combo. They will make the 2x6 combo, but it is not mormal.